Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Do bees gather pollen and nectar from pine trees and oak ?  (Read 28550 times)

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
Do bees gather pollen and nectar from pine trees and oak ?
« on: July 30, 2009, 09:33:23 pm »
Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
Re: Do bees gather pollen and nectar from pine trees and oak ?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 10:02:50 pm »
Pine----no!!! Oak---I don't think so.  They may gather pine but of no value. Some say they will gather sawdust if nothing else around.

If they got anything from pine I would be in hog heaven :-D!!!
John 3:16

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 01:05:39 am »
Pine----no!!! Oak---I don't think so.  They may gather pine but of no value. Some say they will gather sawdust if nothing else around.

If they got anything from pine I would be in hog heaven :-D!!!

I know in the spring the pollen is very heavy on the ground from these trees,I would think they would use  it.
Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 03:25:44 am »
If memory serves me correct, I read they will only use pine pollen if they have nothing else and that it is of poor nutritional value to them.  Dont recall Oak.

Why do you ask?  I think oak are long gone and saw pollen blowing from pine along time ago.  Although there are lots of varieties of Pine.
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BruinnieBear

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 10:54:21 am »

There's a Wiki article that may be of use to you if you search "pollen source" which, at this time, I do not have forum rights to post.

I can say from firsthand observation, they do use Red Oak ... but that's in Early May in Wisconsin.

BB
Some days you just have to learn the hard way!

Bruce & Minnie Fairbanks

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 12:35:32 pm »
If memory serves me correct, I read they will only use pine pollen if they have nothing else and that it is of poor nutritional value to them.  Dont recall Oak.

Why do you ask?  I think oak are long gone and saw pollen blowing from pine along time ago.  Although there are lots of varieties of Pine.

Yes,the pollen of pines and oak was in the spring but the national forest is all around us with mostly pines and alot of oaks all around us.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 02:04:25 pm »
Oak is a good source of honeydew.  That might not be to your liking, though. :roll:

Honeydew=aphid secretions.  Supposedly dark, strong flavored honey.
Rick

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 02:13:13 pm »
If pine was of any value, my bees would always bee pollen hyped up :-D! Most all the farm land around has been planted in pine. And I am also near a huge National forest.

Not to mention the ones left in my yard after I had about 20 saw timber size removed (beetles and afraid they may fall on house). My porch house and cars look yellow when the pine has tasseled ;).

It could be a matter of choice to the bees, not to use the pine?

Offline lakeman

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 04:05:06 pm »
Yes, I live on the lake a short way from sc-bee, and in the spring, with the scads & scads of pines in the area the pine pollen leaves a thick greenish yellow scum on the surface of the lake. It sure would be nice if the bees liked it.
I am my own biggest critic!

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2009, 01:35:33 am »
The most common thing that bees use from pine trees is propolis.  The get propolis from most any evergreen or deciduous tree.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2009, 09:18:04 am »
~Good info Brian ----- never thought of the bees using pine sap.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2009, 09:25:49 am »
I've seen bees visit pine trees for the sap to make propolis. Can't say I've ever seen them visit oaks.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com