Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Essential oils  (Read 5841 times)

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
Essential oils
« on: January 07, 2011, 12:04:33 pm »
I just joined here and rules are you must post.  :rulez:
I have been hanging around for several months and have gained alot of useful info. :brian: Now I have a question.I have been reading at different places about essential oils and there effect on mites when used in patties and sugar syrup. I have not seen this discused. So I would like to hear some exsperienced opinions on the use of essential oils and mites. Does it help control mites?

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: Essential oils
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 12:13:36 pm »
"POP" That was a can of worms being opened :-D

Welcome to the forums sterling. I personally don't use EOs but there are many that do and some swear by them. Others say they can screw with the macrobiotics of the hive. I'm sure you'll get many opinions on this!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
Language barrier NOT included

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 12:28:56 pm »
Remember.  If you ask 10 beekeepers a question you'll get 15 opinions.  But welcome to the Forum.  Some beeks think EO's are a cure-all & others think they're Hocus Pocus.  Search the home page for the topic and you can do lots of research on the topic from previous discussions.
Make Mead!

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 12:36:49 pm »
Been there, done that.   It may work for some,  some may think it works for them,  and it doesn't work for others.   If you decide to go that route,  make sure you keep an open mind and are willing to accept that it might not work for you.

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,14140.msg101604.html#msg101604
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 01:07:55 pm »
Welcome to the forum. Glad to see another Tennessee Beek on here. I havent tried them yet. I bought all the stuff last fall to make my own 'Honey-B Healthy' and will feed it this spring. I have used lemongrass oil for swarm traps but thats about it. Some people swear by them, others swear at them.

Offline fat/beeman

• House Bee
    • Dixie Bee Supply.com
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 06:28:54 pm »
hello
welcome to forum. I been using them for yrs with very good luck. dig around info is out there if open minded. I am not going to preach on the subject.
I am  organic producer.
Don

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 07:49:13 pm »
Thanks for the links I looked for those kinda discussions but didn't find them.

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee

Offline Bryn

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 12:17:44 pm »
For those who use the EO.

There does not seem to be a standard for EO's.  Some are used in food, some used for aromatherapy, others are used in perfume, and lastly pharmaceutical.  You also have the extraction method used from distilling, steaming, cold press etc, along with what is exactly the oil is from, leaf, twig, branch, root.  If this is not confusing enough, do a search on line and then try to figure out what you need to buy, or where to buy from.

So my first question is where to buy.  Please provide an explicit address web address or mailing address.  If needs be send it to me privately and I will post it anonymously, enough said.

Second question is what "Grade" should one be looking for, and why.

This is my first year with "organic bees" on 4.9 cell foundation.  I to would like to consider using EO's, but need the help answering the two questions above.  Any help.

Best Regards

Bryn

Offline fat/beeman

• House Bee
    • Dixie Bee Supply.com
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 02:10:43 pm »
the place I buy mine is
Lorannoils==800-862-8620
and I don't get a kick back. I only use there best not synthetic its only for aroma therapy.I buy the gal size its little cheaper.hope this will help.
Don

Offline Bryn

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 03:24:56 pm »
Thanks Don,

Bryn

Offline Chrisd4421

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 08:01:52 pm »
Hi all,
    Tagging on here for some clarification rather than starting yet another EO thread.

The following recipe is readily available:
> 5 cups water
> 2 1/2 pounds of sugar
> 1/8 teaspoon lecithin granules (used as an emulsifier)
> 15 drops spearmint oil
> 15 drops lemongrass oil

My question....some have recommended full strength to feed, others say 2 teaspoons per quart of 1:1 syrup.  I assume 2 teaspoons is correct but I just want to be sure.

Additionally, does anyone use this with their 2:1 fall syrup?

Some also use this as a smokeless spray - I have read both 1:1 syrup with anywhere from 1 to 4 teaspoons into a spray bottle.  Does anyone have any experience with these concentrations?

Thanks all!!
/Chris in NJ

Offline fat/beeman

• House Bee
    • Dixie Bee Supply.com
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 09:30:45 am »
chris
the amounts of EO's I think is little strong. your mix is about what I mix for 30gal. and no EO full strenth will kill bees or even burn your skin. hope this helps.
Don

ps I been experimenting with oils got 12 yrs now

:-D

Offline Stone

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 11:37:20 pm »
FYI guys.  I fed Honey Bee Healthy to my top bar hives in late summer and early fall last year.  First time and according to the directions.  The population of all the hives exploded!  Two of them swarmed very soon after.  Couldn't get there in time.  Stuff works.

I've used therapeutic grade Lemongrass oil inside new hives (and will inside new supers) - rubbed it on the walls when installing nucs. It's expensive but it pays.  The bees seem to like it.  I dropped the cotton applicator with oil accidentally and lots of girls chased it to the ground. Stuck around for quite awhile.

Will be using it in my swarm traps along with swarm lure next season.  What do I have to lose?