Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Starting Beemax hive  (Read 7120 times)

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
Starting Beemax hive
« on: December 08, 2008, 09:41:37 pm »
I am going to order some BeeMax hive equipment and start a hive this spring.  I like the idea of trying new things, and this to me is new.  How much should I get?  Does one simply construct the brood nest of the bee max and use wood supers? 
Brian

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Starting Beemax hive
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 09:13:25 am »
I use 2 BeeMax deeps for brood chambers and wood honey supers.   So far this has worked fine for me.   I personally buy them 10 at a time to get the price break.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Windy Ridge Apiary

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 12:48:21 am »
Hi neighbor, I am also starting new hives this spring and using BeeMax hives. Details of my plans are under Natural and Organic Beekeeping section and is called "plans to beat the mites in 2009".
Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.
Proverbs 16:23-25

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 12:56:14 am »
I am going to order some BeeMax hive equipment and start a hive this spring.  I like the idea of trying new things, and this to me is new.  How much should I get?  Does one simply construct the brood nest of the bee max and use wood supers? 

I believe they changed the design so they aren't oversized so wooden supers fit them better. I have the older models that I use with medium woodenware, they look a little funny and you have to line them up to fit but they work just fine.

I really like the beemax hives, all of mine have yielded strong colonies.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline jdpro5010

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 03:15:03 pm »
Is anybody having trouble with the critters chewing thru them?  I thought that I had heard this may be a problem with them.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 05:59:59 pm »
Is anybody having trouble with the critters chewing thru them?  I thought that I had heard this may be a problem with them.

I've not had any trouble.   Two weeks ago I had a bear knock a polystyrene nuc off the stand and other than a few claw marks, everything was fine.  Just picked it back up and put it back with the rest.

rob...
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline mudlake

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 01:45:09 pm »
I have 2 double deep beemax with hsc and have had no problems. Am going to split 4 ways in the spring I hope!!!  Good Luck  Tony

Offline beemused

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 08:25:40 pm »
I started a few colonies in Beemax equipment in April this year. Some with deeps for brood and medium supers above and some all mediums. They did great this summer and I'll see how they do thru the winter. One cutout colony I put in a Beemax has made a real mess with cross comb but thats probably not because of the material in the bodies. Just a chore for the spring I guess. Splits in them made nice minimal cross comb in the frames.
I don't move the Beemax around like wood equipt. and am not sure how it would take the unintentional banging around they get at times. Just carrying them around in the truck before installing the new residents they got a few noticeable dings that wood wouldn't show. All in all I like them so far and will more than likely get more.

Bruce
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline mudlake

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 06:15:43 pm »
I have a couple things to add. I am using HSC ( with BeeMax) and I did not think I needed to feed them this spring. What the heck the comb was already drawn out. Wrong feed them like any nuc. Once I started feeding they took off. I am trying to run double deeps with HSC Because of where I live we have 3 feet of snow on the ground.  I have some shallow supers ross rounds I think not sure of the size if anyone is intrested I will measure  All you have to do is come pick them up. Maybe 20 supers If anyone intrested I will ck that also. I will help load them up they are in good shape. Merry Christmas everyone Tony     

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2009, 08:16:44 pm »
I've had a beemax for 3 years and I have to say that any colony in it is always bursting at the seams. . .*shrugs*

Offline jpk1nh

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 05:25:59 pm »
I'm using 2 polystyrene deeps for overwintering along with their lids and screened BB's and use woodenware for my supers because they are a little bit cheaper and won't be used for overwintering here in NH.

One thing I have noticed is that the girls seem to be less inclined to prop the lids to the polystrene compared to a wood top and super combo, that may just be because they fit better and there is no gap for them to seal.

anything