Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Year 5 and just getting started in Maine  (Read 1701 times)

Offline glrret

• Brood
Year 5 and just getting started in Maine
« on: March 19, 2010, 04:14:51 pm »
Hello folks,
I live in Maine and have been trying to get a firm spring beginning for 4 years. 
Year 1 I started with 4 new hives purchsed as nukes from a local bee seller. All 4 hires seemed real strong going into the winter.

Spring year 2, 2 of the 4 hives didn’t survive the winter. Bought 2 more nukes, both of the original hives swarmed and I cought one of the swarms.  Very low honey content in hive come fall so I didn’t pull anything for us, I left it all for the winter. Combined 2 weak hives going into winter which left me with 4 okay hives going into winter.

Spring year 3, 1 healthy hive 1 very weak  hive survived the winter. Healthy hive split 2 times  very early in spring, I cought both swarms. Moved caught swams to an apple orchard 5 miles away for the summer.  Was able to claim about 30 lbs of honey for family in mid summer. Moved two hived back home in late summer. Went into winter with 4 hives.

Spring year 4, 1 very weak hive survived the winter. I bought two bee packs with qweens. Requeened week hive.  Requeened hive split in mid summer, I cought the swarm. All 4 hives seemed to be doing very well. Did not take any honey for us, but kept 1 med supper for emergancy winter food for hives.  I fed each hive with syrup through the winter.

Spring year 5, 4 good hives survived the winter.  So I may be off to a good start this year.

Offline CVBees

• House Bee
  • secondchanceapiary@gmail
Re: Year 5 and just getting started in Maine
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 09:56:29 pm »
Nice history and glad to hear it can be done we have a few Mainiacs on these board but they live down "south"  I say that because my folks and my wifes folks live in Doverfoxcroft.  Nothing to be proud of I understand but I will be moving home as soon as I change jobs next year.  Maine is a big state what are you close to? Portland? Kittery? Augusta?  just curious and it helps those beeks in the vacationland answer your questions.  good luck  its my first year here in PA but I hope to take my new hobby home with me.

CV Bees
Bees are the key to life as we know it.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Year 5 and just getting started in Maine
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 12:51:07 am »
Grllet, welcome to our forum, so wonderful you found us.  You have been through quite a bit with your bees, you are not deterred by things, clearly, as most of us are (well I would say all) held so deeply beneath the spell of the honeybee, they have a way about them, that demands our attention, smiling.  Stick around, we love new members, and we love to listen.  Have that wonderful and most great day, health too. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service