Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: not taking the sugar mixture  (Read 3343 times)

Offline filmmlif

• House Bee
not taking the sugar mixture
« on: November 08, 2004, 11:19:56 pm »
i have a hive with very little honey for the winter (i'm in tx so i'm hoping they will make it) so i gave them a few gallons of sugar water. i check it the day after i place the top feeder but no bees were up there. does it take time for them to make their way up there for the sugar syrup?

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2004, 04:25:15 am »
You don't say what kind of feeder you are using, but I saw that they weren't taking sugar water from my entrance feeder. I pulled the mason jar and found that the sugar had come out of solution and effectively sealed the mouth of the jar. I busted up the sugar and they started taking again now that they could get it.
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2004, 09:36:45 am »
Being in Texas I was wondering if you might still have some late blooming flowers available . If so, the bees would much rather have fresh nectar than sugar water.

Offline Finman

• House Bee
Re: not taking the sugar mixture
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2004, 06:08:27 pm »
Quote from: filmmlif
i have a hive with very little honey for the winter (i'm in tx so i'm hoping they will make it) so i gave them a few gallons of sugar water. i check it the day after i place the top feeder but no bees were up there. does it take time for them to make their way up there for the sugar syrup?

First thing is to put some honey in sugar liquid, or honey in the space they suc sugar.

The last thing is to pour liquid straight into empty frames and this, full on sugar framers to the lowest box of hive. Bees lift the sugar to upper box during a week.

When I feed winter sugar, hive take 20 kg sugar during one week. If weather is cold, bees go to the ball and stop sucking somethimes. Honey usually helps.

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2004, 12:44:56 am »
If you put honey in the syrup, make sure you use your own honey as even store bought honey has diseases harmful to bees in it. If you don't have any honey try to get some from a local beekeeper that you are sure has no disease in his apiary.

anything