Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: moving empty bars to the back?  (Read 2841 times)

Offline zzzzzzzzpr

• House Bee
moving empty bars to the back?
« on: June 15, 2013, 01:45:15 am »
I have a post about brood in the middle of an end enterance tbh.
tomorrow ill be going to inspect the hive. I have around 8 bars of empty comb before the brood. I was wondering if I should move the brood back to the front and the empty comb to the back?

Offline nietssemaj

• House Bee
Re: moving empty bars to the back?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 08:56:09 pm »
Is that where your entrance is? If so yeah you can do that. But I would leave at least 1 empty bar in the front.

Offline zzzzzzzzpr

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 10:07:46 pm »
yup I have an end enterance. and its looks like I just may do that in a few days when the weather is cooler.

Offline duryeafarms

• House Bee
Re: Re: moving empty bars to the back?
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 07:13:22 pm »
It really doesn't matter which end they are building from. I've read that building from the front is most typical, but the reverse isn't uncommon. My girls started from the back. I hived them in the middle of April and they are working on the second bar from the front now. I've gradually opened up the back and will probably open it completely in the next couple of weeks.

Offline njfl

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 03:06:53 pm »
I'd agree, it doesn't matter where they start building, as long as the bees are building.

Most of mine have started closer to the front.  I don't have observation windows on any of mine.  A couple friends' hives do, and I notice they'll usually build away from the window at first.  They then build out the hive just like any other.

anything