Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Snow buildup at entrance  (Read 2977 times)

Offline mtbe

• House Bee
Snow buildup at entrance
« on: December 28, 2009, 12:00:43 pm »
Just got about 6" of snow over the weekend.

Didn't pay attention to the hives due to the holidays. 

I have 3 TBHs that have about 2-4" of snow piled up on the entrance.  I didn't check to see if it was completely blocking the entrance or not.  Do I need to brush the snow off for ventilation? 

These are bottom entrances with 'landing space'  (built before discovering the benefits of top entrances).

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Snow buildup at entrance
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 12:13:43 pm »
i would leave the top closed if they have an exit from the bottom.  if you open both, all you do is suck cold air through the hive.  i don't have TBH, but the chimney effect should be the same with two openings.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 02:06:37 pm »
Snow is warm.  It's 32 F.  When it's -17 outside (as it was a couple of days ago) 32 F is quite a bit warmer.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 04:34:18 pm »
So it is true that ice is 32 degrees all the time and does not get colder?  It does not seem logical.
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 05:19:43 pm »
ice and snow can be colder than 32 degrees.  what they do, is insulate the hive when they cover it.  they help hold the heat in to some extent, but not completely.  a good size hive will melt the snow off the top.  it's one way to know the hive is alive and the cluster is creating good heat.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 05:26:37 pm »
Snow has air trapped in it and is good insulation.  Ice may be another matter.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything