Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Splits w/ excluder  (Read 1411 times)

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
Splits w/ excluder
« on: July 05, 2013, 12:35:51 am »
Have you ever used this method of splitting. I often have a hard time finding the queen in a  very populous hive. Seems this would eliminate the several trips I often have to make. Of course if you were moving a cell from a frame to a nuc I would think you woud brush the bees instead of shaking them this hard?

Pros-Cons-Comments?

Making Honey Bee Splits Quick and Easy.mov
John 3:16

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: Splits w/ excluder
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 01:58:24 am »
I did some splits today and only found 1 queen so maybe I should change my ways.  Looks like a good system to me.   

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 03:40:30 am »
I was thinking if you split to nuc with an open bottom 5 frame etc, cut a jig for the center, place jig on top of excluder add frames and top, walk away and all you have to do is come back and slap the bottom on. Move as you wish, leave them queenless a few and come back and add queen.
John 3:16

Offline kanga

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 06:20:55 am »
I have been using this method for some time and have good success with the introduction of new queens. I do shake the bees from the frames and set up the box over the excluder.  Having brood above the excluder encourages nurse bees so when you take it you will have mainly young bees which will more readily accept the introduction of a new queen.

I have only ever left them approx. 24hrs before removing them to a new location and introducing a new queen.

Kevin