Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Nuc?? Another DUH moment  (Read 4627 times)

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
Nuc?? Another DUH moment
« on: May 02, 2008, 01:18:31 pm »
I was looking for nuc boxes to buy...then thought why am I doing this when I have 8frm meds..wouldn't 1 of them be about equal to a 5frm deep nuc??  Then each piece of equipment would be totally interchangable, just buying tops or bottoms as needed??  I want to have something on hand just in case I want to experiment later this year...or a swarm or whatever may happen. ;)  Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline doak

• Super Bee
Re: Nuc?? Another DUH moment
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 03:15:40 pm »
I like it when a plan comes together. ;)doak

Offline derrick1p1

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 04:19:26 pm »
I've often thought of that.  Why not use mediums, why use nuc boxes?  I'd like to expand, but haven't found much material on that really.  I have booming hive, one trying to requeen itself and 2 new nucs.  Do you think expanding is even a possiblity for me this year?

I won't let grass grow under my feet, there will be plenty of time to push up daisies.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 04:43:31 pm »
How many you can take care of and how many your area will support.
And how much you have and want to put into it.$$$$ wise.
I could have 25 or 30 here in my back yard if I could tend to that many.
Auther  and his brother Ridis don't let me do to much. Then there is the heat, and its coming.
Will be 67 next time and have had one heat spell already, 20 years ago.
doak

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 10:24:44 pm »
>then thought why am I doing this when I have 8frm meds..wouldn't 1 of them be about equal to a 5frm deep nuc??

Yes, an eight frame medium is exactly the same volume as a five frame deep.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2008, 12:13:59 pm »
When I made my nucs I housed them in a 10 frame deep with a division board to keep the colony in a "smaller" box.  As the colony grows the division board can be moved over as the numbers increase.  The division board allows the colony to be in only one half of the deep, this keeps them warm.  There may be a time when I will use mediums or 8 frame boxes, but for now I have all 10 frame deeps and they are doing well for me.  I have ways of working with these, yep, I have my ways.  Have the best of a wonderful and beautiful day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service