Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The Sea Leach (aka Ligia Oceanica, or aka the Sea Slater)  (Read 3638 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
The Sea Leach (aka Ligia Oceanica, or aka the Sea Slater)
« on: February 17, 2008, 10:40:43 am »
Remember the ugly picture of the Isopod that I put on the forum some time ago, well, my dearest lil' Brother finally figured it out and go figure this one out, from the "mouths of babes".   It was his Son that really got him where he needed to go to find out the species.  This is a copy of an e-mail text that he sent to me a couple of days ago:

Behold the ligia oceanica, or the sea slater.  It's an isopod and
other than disgusing, from what I can tell they're harmless.  Wow, now
we know what they are.  Kurtis brought home a book about the ocean and
it had a picture of the Parastic Isopod in it that looked very much
like those sea leeches that used to terrify us.  I found out that the
type of Isopod we are familiar with and used to call Sea Leeches is
the Ligia Oceanica or more commonly known as the Sea Slater.  Mystery
solved.

My Brother is as I am, an investigator, and when there is a mystery to solve, we are those detectives.  Sometimes when I look at pictures such as these, those little critters look like they might be really good sauteed in a little garlic, butter and chives, ummmmm, ummmmm and a hee, hee, haw, haw!!!  (smiling that evil smile).  Enjoy this picture again, and have a wonderful and beautiful day, love our Mother Earth.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: The Sea Leach (aka Ligia Oceanica, or aka the Sea Slater)
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 12:38:10 pm »
Don't know about eatin' them things, they remind me of a big roach. Don't go puttin' that thing in your mouth now Cindi!  ;) :-* :-D :evil:

.....JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 03:35:54 pm »
MMM, crunchy on the outside...they look sort of like sow/potato bugs that live under wood & rocks!
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 09:01:22 am »
JP, come on, you know me better than that, I am a chicken!!!   I wouldn't, but you can bet your bottom dollar my Husband would crunch on that thing in a heart's beat, especially if someone dangled it infront of his face and gave him that dare!!!!  Have a beautiful and wonderful day, Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service