Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Read This  (Read 946 times)

Offline doak

• Super Bee
Read This
« on: May 03, 2009, 09:03:23 pm »
This is the story of Orientation Flights.
When the field bees notice their flock is dwindling they will go in and tell the oldest house bees, O.K. It is time you all to start doing field work.
So the oldest house bees crawl out side and move up the front of the hive body.
After a bit they fly out to the front from 1 to 3 feet and move up and down and from side to side.
Then they move out to 6 to 8 ft and do the same but this time they increase the distance from side to side and up and down.
Each time father out and up and down and from side to side.
Finally at the end they are 30 to 40 ft or more and tree top high.
By this time they have recorded the map grids in to their navigational memory.
This one is used till they die, or, get moved or swarm.
Once they swarm and take new residence this memory is wipe out and they make a new one.
This new one does not take place till they have decided on a permanent location.
That is why they are able to come back to the hive if the queen is not with them.

When you capture a swarm, that goes into the box on their own, that is why, the earlier in the day they take the box the more stragglers will show up the next day. The ones that show up the next day are the ones that orientated the day they took the box.
Notice that next time you have a swarm to take a box on their own at your house if you have to move them after they are in the hive.
The only time I have ever had a swarm leave once they took a box all the way was when I did not have enough boxes on.
Don't try to squeeze a swarm that will fill two deeps into one or two mediums.
Most times they will reject it. Don't worry about how fast they draw out the comb, it is better to have a few extra than not enough. So much more if you hive them on drawn comb.
The one I got two weeks ago today started with two deeps and a medium and they are ready for another super. That is because all boxes was drawn comb.

If any one needs more info just ask, If I can't answer  then we will find some one that can.

And tell people  if these folks on this forum can't do it, It doesn't need to be done.
 :roll: :)doak
aka as "rabbitredworm"

anything