Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: honey for weddings ?  (Read 1960 times)

Offline malabarchillin

• House Bee
honey for weddings ?
« on: December 07, 2008, 10:06:31 am »
In trying to find markets for my honey, has anyone sold 2 oz jars
to wedding/event planners for guest table gifts. It seems like a lot of jars, but
it appears that the prices could be ok. Google "wedding honey"
I keep bees for a hobby, but getting rid of 400-500 pounds of honey is not the fun part. I am not a flea market kinda guy.

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
  • Tending 50K angry insects is just .........crazy!
    • OMG Apiary
Re: honey for weddings ?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 10:28:43 am »
Depending on the honey...it would sell fast up here in Maryland. we had a slow year and local honey is very hard to come by.
Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
We are the keepers, it is our duty to preserve life.

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 03:51:42 pm »
I have seen the wedding favors of the little jars of honey and I like the idea if I were planning a wedding, but you would also have to be able to custom print the labels for each couple and would have to figure that cost in.
I have thought of this a while back for when my girls get married, its a nice idea.
Most people are going to want to have some wedding labels put on the jars instead of a plain jar.
Unless you try to sell it straight out and have the couple do the labels themselves, you would get alot less money though since they still have to go through the trouble of getting the labels themselves.

Offline malabarchillin

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 03:59:08 pm »
agreed.
I was thinking about trying to sell to event planners and not the couples.
If the price were right I would pre-bottle hundreds and custom print 30 or so at a time. It looks like they sell for a decent amount.

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 04:33:02 pm »
Thats a good idea, the event planners can also be the ones to deal with any custom designs the couples have not you.
I love the idea, when I saw it online a couple of months ago I thought to myself that I would have to keep that in mind for when my girls get married.
I think you could do really well with minimum work too, just by bottling it and dealing with the planners.
Here is another though,I wonder if you could also do something for corporate places right now with the holidays season coming up.
Put some nice holiday label on them and sell them like that, alot of places buy large amounts of things like that to give out to customers and employees.
Maybe you could approach them with the idea and you could include in the price a custom label that would say seasons greetings from _____ and they could hand them out.
Maybe a business near you would buy cases of it to hand out as holiday gifts or to use in gift baskets.
There is another thought, any places near you that design gift baskets for the holidays?
Maybe they would purchase some small jars of honey to include in the baskets.
Otherwise maybe you could sell to bakeries and stores like that if you just want to sell it off.
Maybe you have some local stores in your area that would carry your honey, even the flower stands around here carry honey.
I know you don't like the idea of flea markets but if you could get a table at the farmers markets you would do well, if you really hate the idea see if you can get someone else that has a table to sell your honey for you.

Offline utahbeekeeper

• House Bee
    • Millcreek Valley Farm
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 12:37:23 pm »
I have sold a few dozen gift sets in a nice upscale package with HONEY, our soaps and salts to brides for wedding party thankyou gifts.  Also honey included in gift baskets went well at our shows like Peach Days.

Try setting up shop at 1000 Markets . . . UNLIKE Etsy, this shop requires NO set-up fee.  Instead, they take 5% at point of sale.  The people there are top shelf . . . really commited to facilitating artisans and small farm producers in today's market place.  their site is broken down into Markets, featuring like minded shops, and into the Shops.  It is Seattle based, and is ground floor now.  When they go "Public" soon, it will be most excellent.

The co-op does require a clean set of photos and an appealing assortment of products.  Whether it is honey or other arts and crafts, give this site a look see.  Our URL is:

Millcreek Valley Farm

We are out of honey now, so the field is wide open.
Pleasant words are like an honeycomb, sweet to the soul and health to the bones.  Prov 16:24

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 12:50:55 pm »
I use Betterbees 6oz bear. Smallest bear I could find. Buy them bulk, free shipping(200count w/ lids). I really sell a boat load of these. $3 each or 4 for $10.
http://www.betterbee.com/products.asp?dept=1394

I use the flip-top so kids dont eat the tip of other style. they also pack better in a box.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Dan Williamson

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 09:00:23 am »
I have been contacted by at least one person on using honey as a wedding favor.  Apparently, they blew their budget before the honey order was placed so guess who got axed!  lol 

So I haven't actually sold any for that purpose but apparently there is an occasional market for wedding favors out there.  I have heard of other folks getting orders for honey wedding favors.