Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What I noticed when I cleaned out the bottom boards  (Read 1320 times)

Offline Parksguyy

• House Bee
What I noticed when I cleaned out the bottom boards
« on: March 14, 2013, 10:00:16 am »
Hey folks,
Cdn Beek here, new to this last summer, with four hives.  Just last week I cleaned out the bottom boards of these hives and couldn't beleive the amount of dead bees in a couple of the hives.  Going into the winter these two hives were very health and full ...did a mite count and literally had none!  One of the hives was weaker going into the winter yet it had the least of the dead bees in that one.  All these hives are alive and appear to be doing ok, we fed them fondant about a month ago ... just being careful.  And last week each were given a pollen pattie, again more insurance.
I'm just wondering if this sounds normal to everyone ... from what I've read, its to be expected ... it was just the amount of dead bees that got me to thinking about it all.
Thanks   

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: What I noticed when I cleaned out the bottom boards
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 10:20:52 am »
Many, many bees in the fall likely means the majority are summer bees. Only the winter bees will live til spring.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 01:21:32 pm »
Yep, sounds normal especilly up north where they cannot clean them out on a continual basis like they do down here.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Parksguyy

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 01:37:42 pm »
Thanks guys, this will put me a ease ... I'll feel awhole lot better once the season changes for good ... we just dipped back into winter overnite and thru the weekend.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 01:46:14 pm »
Down here there are few days that the bees aren't flying.  They keep the hive pretty clean.  I have mine on a concrete slab, you should see the dead on it sometimes.
Good luck to you and your bees.

Joe

anything