Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee Crack?  (Read 8298 times)

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
Re: Bee Crack?
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2010, 01:33:51 pm »
Yup, yup!  You know you've got it bad when:  1) first item consumed in the am includes something with honey (honey latte for me!); 2) feeding the kids comes after considering how much syrup needs to be made that day; 3) hubby gets a quicker response to "how many deeps do you need me to make this winter" than anything else (well just about); wherever you are, you wonder if they carry anything "bee"; 4) you dream about queens (and no, I'm not talking about Pierce); 5) you start almost every sentence with "there was this thread on Beemaster today..."; 6) you keep wondering exactly where Burger Delight is? 

I could go on......:)

Offline MikeS

• New Bee
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2010, 03:40:14 pm »
I'm right there with you too, started with one last year, up to 21 right now going into winter. Planning on more next spring and Ive already ordered 6 more nucs trying to get to about 30 in 3 different locations. Shouldn't have to buy any more bees though, maybe a few queens for making nucs.

All I do is study it, work with them, and build extra eqpt. Haven't quit my job yet, need the money to keep buying materials.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2010, 03:54:44 pm »
If you are like me, you look around and see bee junk everywhere.   At the end of summer I put 6 complete hives into storage with bits and pieces in every shelf.   Every little sale or junk pile you can be given, you collect.   Just need more bees.   I am going into winter with 11 hives, less than last year, but stronger.  No where did I put my crack pipe, uh, I mean bee catalogs.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2010, 03:59:59 pm »
Yup, yup!  You know you've got it bad when:  1) first item consumed in the am includes something with honey (honey latte for me!); 2) feeding the kids comes after considering how much syrup needs to be made that day; 3) hubby gets a quicker response to "how many deeps do you need me to make this winter" than anything else (well just about); wherever you are, you wonder if they carry anything "bee"; 4) you dream about queens (and no, I'm not talking about Pierce); 5) you start almost every sentence with "there was this thread on Beemaster today..."; 6) you keep wondering exactly where Burger Delight is? 

I could go on......:)

:-D :-D Very cute

Offline bull

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2010, 04:54:24 pm »
ok gave away a extractor and @ 15 HIVES OLD WOOD WORK.
packing up all my bee stuff trying for all together.
gave the last cut out away.
im not over bees im moving , yep bigger bee yard .
my thoughts are of the girls and my bee's. safer cleaner,free er,
wow ,what can i plant, i know where to put them , oh the new mail man not going to like me at all.
the water oh yes sweet little stream , by febuary i should need a support group to get me through.

THE RANTINGS OF A BEE CRACK HEAD.
                       OR A DOUBLE CRACK HEAD.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2010, 11:40:07 pm »
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2010, 12:05:02 am »
The bees actually do collective mind control over you...  they have coerced people into spreading them all over the world...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2010, 12:48:44 am »
Thanks for the link, JP!  Just for fun I put in my "starting" address to get driving directions.  Ya know, I think it's doable, just a bit of a detour! 

As for loving ice cream and being addicted to anything bee, I bought a pint of Haagen Daz because it said, "Vanilla Honey Bee" on the label.  Sure enough, honey is listed as the third ingredient right after cream and skim milk.  Gotta love those folks for supporting the cause!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2010, 02:27:31 pm »
Alicia, my favorite ice cream in the entire universe is coffee flavored Haagen daz. Of course the shakes from Burger Delight are very good and addictive.  ;)

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline winginit

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2010, 03:35:48 pm »
 :-D   :-D   :-D

Ya'll are funny! Now if a meth addict is called a tweaker, guess I'm a beeker. At home, I breath in the lockerroom smell of goldenrod nectar like nobodies' business. Oooh-oooh that smell!

Here I am on vacation, reading Beemaster. Sigh.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2010, 05:23:23 pm »
I found the bee crack.   http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/06/science/06bees.html?_r=1

Buzz has a whole new meaning now that scientists are giving bees cocaine.

To learn more about the biochemistry of addiction, scientists in Australia dropped liquefied freebase cocaine on bees’ backs, so it entered the circulatory system and brain.

The scientists found that bees react much like humans do: cocaine alters their judgment, stimulates their behavior and makes them exaggeratedly enthusiastic about things that might not otherwise excite them.  :-D

Offline vmmartin

• House Bee
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2010, 07:01:58 pm »
Allen,
 I like this quote from the article
“What we have in the bee is a wonderfully simple system to see how brains react to a drug of abuse,” said Andrew B. Barron, a senior lecturer at Macquarie University in Australia and a co-leader in the bees-on-cocaine studies. “It may be that when we know that, we’ll be able to stop a brain reacting to a drug of abuse, and then we may be able to discover new ways to prevent abuse in humans.”
How about if humans did not take it in the first place. According to my calculations, that would stop 100% of the abuse. :roll:

Offline winginit

• House Bee
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2010, 11:19:15 pm »
How about if humans did not take it in the first place. According to my calculations, that would stop 100% of the abuse. :roll:

Wait, we're talking about bee crack. Can't stop, can't stop.  :cheer:

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2010, 02:00:17 am »
Naw, I can stop any time I want.  Really I can!

Just let me read one more post........

(two hours later......)

Offline bull

• House Bee
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2010, 03:28:39 am »
im down to 4 times a day ,checking on the bee's.
and @ 4 times anight checking in on the bee crack heads oh oh beeker's yes sounds better doesn't it.

Offline bugleman

• House Bee
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2010, 07:02:13 am »
I am not addicted.

I find that after feeding 40 hives, I sleep really well and I don't really think about the bees till the next morning.    :-D

Not sleeping well tonight, thinking: I need to build pallets.

Offline vermmy35

• Field Bee
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2010, 08:10:35 pm »
I just bought a table router and table saw a few days ago and I can't wait to make some hives over the winter.  I made my own last spring and really loved them, so now I get to make up about 27 more this year.
Semper Fi to all my brothers out there
http://gettingbacktocountryliving.blogspot.com/

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2010, 08:13:21 pm »
When you run out of room to store your equipment, boxes and hives, just ship them down here to Georgia and I will store them for you.   :-D

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2010, 08:18:29 am »
Went on vacation to Florida last month, did the Disney-thing with the family. You know what I got excited about at Epcot? There were honeybees all over the flowers. The family is in awe of the Chinese acrobats. I'm watching bees. The kids want go on TestTrack again, I mumble "Okay" and sit on a bench and watch bees, while thinking that Disney owns all the land for miles around, so are these bees from managed colonies? Are they feral?

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2010, 12:52:25 pm »
Went on vacation to Florida last month, did the Disney-thing with the family. You know what I got excited about at Epcot? There were honeybees all over the flowers. The family is in awe of the Chinese acrobats. I'm watching bees. The kids want go on TestTrack again, I mumble "Okay" and sit on a bench and watch bees, while thinking that Disney owns all the land for miles around, so are these bees from managed colonies? Are they feral?

This is exactly what I do on all our vacations. First have to spot where the bees are foraging and then I sit and watch them. I ask the same questions as you "Are they feral or are they managed"

anything