Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Eight Frame Revolution?  (Read 2550 times)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Eight Frame Revolution?
« on: January 31, 2007, 07:34:32 am »
I notice, in addition to the usual Brushy Mt and Miller Bee Supply, that Betterbee and Mann Lake now have eight frame equipment.  Betterbee has quite an assortment of accessories.  Unfortunately, unlike Brushy Mt and Miller who have 13 3/4" wide hives, Betterbee and Mann Lake have 14" wide hives.  I thought Brushy Mt has kind of set the standard since they were the only ones selling any number of them and accessories, but we apparently have no standard.

There must be a significant increase in demand for eight frame hives.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline kensfarm

• House Bee
Re: Eight Frame Revolution?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 03:42:08 pm »
"Betterbee and Mann Lake have 14" wide hives."

Mike.. I think it's because they are using thicker wood(7/8)?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 11:12:06 pm »
>Mike.. I think it's because they are using thicker wood(7/8)?

Since eight frame hives (even at 13 3/4") have more spare room (with all the frames togehter) than a ten frame hive (by at least a quarter inch).  I think it's irelevant how thick the wood is.  There should be a standard, and since the only people offering them for years, were doing 13 3/4", I think that would be the right standard.  Not to mention 13 1/2" is what it would be if you simply subtracted two frames from the width of a 10 frame box.

But any standard would be better than none.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 01:10:54 am »
Western Bee has 8 frame hive bodies available in sixes from 13 1/2 to 14 in eighth inch increments.  They say different areas of the US use different standards.  I find that using 13 7/8 as a base lets me use 13 3/4 to 14 w/o problems. 
I am glad to see that better bee and Mann lake have both added 8 frame to their catalog.  I had to cancel a good sized order to better bee because they didn't offer 8 frame--I don't think I was the only one.  The amount of lost business must have caught their attention.

Better bee also offers a hive top feeder for a 5 frame nuc.

Mann Lake has had 8 frame equipment available, just not listed in their catalog until this year.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 07:51:12 am »
>Better bee also offers a hive top feeder for a 5 frame nuc.

As does Brushy Mt.
-------------------