Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Nectar flow in North Carolina  (Read 7835 times)

Offline bizzybeehoney

• New Bee
Nectar flow in North Carolina
« on: June 09, 2008, 10:12:36 am »
I know that the nectar flow is slowing down now here in the Piedmont.  When and if does the next nectar flow start here?

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
Re: Nectar flow in North Carolina
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 10:52:34 am »
Not sure but I think the next nectar flow will be from clover.  I will check at our county bk meeting tomorrow night and see what the veterans say!
"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 04:44:34 pm »
BBHoney, it was kinda strange but the head honchos at the beekeeper's meeting last night were not sure as to what is flowing now.  The general comment was that the honey being cured now has a very light color.  Most people think it could be persimmon!  Our guest speaker was an extension agent from Cleveland county (Shelby) but he wasn't sure either!

Sorry I wasn't a greater help!
"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 04:46:59 pm »
Not sure but I think the next nectar flow will be from clover.

I often use the south as an approximation for when our next flow will be starting.  Clover started coming out a week or two ago.  I am surprised that ours is before yours.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline beewhisper

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 10:44:13 pm »
Hi Bizzybee !
In McDowell the Poplar flow just ended and the Sourwood is about to start
                                                                                 Beewhisper

Offline heaflaw

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 02:01:21 am »
I'm in Lincoln Co.  My sourwood is still going.  I had a lot of vetch this year but that seem to be over now.  Most of my clover died last year in the drought.  My flow mostly ends by July 1st.  After that I might get a super or less out of my strongest hives.

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 09:13:31 am »
Hey, Bassman!

Yeah, the clover has been popping for about 3 weeks or so.  The drought last year killed a lot of stuff in the wild.  I have lost several of the smaller popular trees as well as a few oaks.

But I don't see a lot of bees working what clover is blooming.

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 09:29:54 am »
Yeah, the clover has been popping for about 3 weeks or so.  The drought last year killed a lot of stuff in the wild.  I have lost several of the smaller popular trees as well as a few oaks.

But I don't see a lot of bees working what clover is blooming.

Oh ok...so maybe you guys did get yours before us.  That's good.

Last year our clover dried up really quick.  I think this year will be good for clover since we got so much rain.  We have artesian (sp?) springs under our property and some of the farm fields above us, so we dry up a lot slower than most, but last year it didn't matter.

The dandelion seemed to have dried up faster than normal this year (about 2 weeks), but we had a good harvest from it.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline eri

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 10:01:07 am »
Greetings --

I have found two excellent online honeybee blooming guides specific to North Carolina, separated by region (Western, Piedmont, Coastal) and highlighted by current date, as well as a general blooming guide with dates.

I think I am too new a member to post the URLs. If you message or e-mail me I will send them to you and perhaps someone with authority can post them in the forum. One is at ncbeekeepers and the other at ncsu.

-- eri (aka Jane)
On Pleasure
Kahlil Gibran
And to both, bee and flower, the giving and the receiving of pleasure is a need and an ecstasy.
People of Orphalese, be in your pleasures like the flowers and the bees.

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 11:54:57 am »