Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Adjustable hive stand  (Read 5201 times)

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
Adjustable hive stand
« on: October 26, 2009, 10:29:36 am »
Anyone ever thought about or built an adjustable hive stand that could be raised or lowered as needed?  I realize that it would be a permanent structure, but I also think that it would keep you from having to stand on your head to check on small hives or stretch to check on the larger ones. 

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
Re: Adjustable hive stand
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 11:51:54 am »
I sure most every beekeeper has thought of it !
at one time or another, especialy bending over a number of hives.

Then they also thought of the practical part of it, and let it slip back in their mind somewhere, and built regular stands of some sort.

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 03:38:38 pm »
I don't see what the practicality of building an adjustable stand is. I mean I understand the benefits of it, but the time, energy, and supplies put into it is more than I'm willing to spend.

My hive stand right now involves 2x4's and cinder blocks. Anything more than this to me is pointless, as my number of hives increases and decreases, and moving them around the yard becomes necessary from time to time, building a permanent stand of any kind becomes more problematic than building more hive boxes, or frames.

If you are concerned about getting into smaller hives without bending over, why not just put a few extra cinderblocks under the small ones. As it grows, take out two cinderblocks as needed.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 08:10:57 pm »
Mine are all the perfect height -- 3 1/2" off the ground.  I'd go lower but then they would be touching the ground and they would rot... :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Beewildered61

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 05:26:25 pm »
 I would be interested in adjustable hive stands....trying to figure out something right now. All my land is sloped, and I have Freeman's beetle trap bottom boards, so I need a way to level them. Right now I have pieces of concrete, concrete block pieces and shale, to wedge them, they are sitting on concrete blocks, but they are too movable....

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 06:57:12 pm »
I see use of an old barber chair coming soon.
 :)

Offline Beewildered61

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 10:59:21 pm »
 :laugh: hey, if it would work, and is cheap!

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 05:54:16 pm »
I see use of an old barber chair coming soon.
 :)

yep been there done that
my friend uses old lawn chairs made of expanded wire screen grease on the legs no problem.