Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Does bees at the top=out of feed?  (Read 4262 times)

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
Re: Does bees at the top=out of feed?
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2012, 06:46:51 am »
I had considered modifying all the frames in the longhive that way to allow the cluster easier movement laterally through the "walls" of comb. But those with experience convinced me it was unnecessary at best and might cause a mess of burr comb problems. No problems, but I will still believe it may be unnecessary. Especially if the cluster stays on the top.

It is definitely unnecessary.  The bees will make tunnels if they need them.  But it may be a good reason not to rearrange the frames in the middle of winter.  :-D    I guess that could also be an argument against plastic foundation. Or for drilling holes in plastic foundation.
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2012, 08:13:38 am »
Winter? Never had one day below freezing here that I can recall this season.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention that the hive I removed from a wall void two days ago had consumed most of the honey they had stored at the top of the hive and had moved downwards where there were more stores.
All brood was at the last 1/3 of the void space.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2012, 09:09:30 am »
Checking on winter stores has been a primary drawback for my LONG Hive, since there is so little room above where the nest may be.  Unlike the easy accessibility of the Lang's,  I've always feared chilling them so once my Long Hive is put to bed for winter I don't disturb it until we start hitting the 60's.

JP; our 'high' temp should be 32F today  ;)  Going below zero tommorrow night.  Seems we're gonna get a little winter yet.

thomas
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

anything