Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey Supers  (Read 4866 times)

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
Honey Supers
« on: May 28, 2016, 04:39:08 pm »
I am going to order my honey supers today or tomorrow. What size should I get. I am 31 and I regularly lift 50- 100 pounds and carry it short distances for my work so I am not worried about the weight of a box but what is a reasonable size to start with?

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
Re: Honey Supers
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 08:29:25 pm »
You won't always be young and strong. I'm 44 with a shoulder injury and an expanding waist line LOL.
A 10 frame medium full of honey is all I care to handle and honestly wish I had gotten 8 frame equipment.

Average is overrated

Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 08:33:19 pm »
I'm running all 10 frame mediums. If I was stating over I would run 8 frame mediums.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 11:38:59 pm »
I am 72 and running 8 frame half depth

Mick

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 12:19:30 am »
Are you running 10 frame or 8 frame equipment?  I built 8 8 frame medium box hives this winter to try out this year.  They haven't built up enough for honey yet but I do like the narrower boxes.  Two frames may not seem like a lot of difference but when they are a foot away from your body it is noticeable.  With my 10 frame equipment I have both medium and shallow boxes for honey supers.  I may be in the minority but, I kinda like the shallows better than the mediums.  To me they are easier to handle and I can put six shallow frames in my extractor compared to three mediums. 

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 12:24:19 am »
 first are you running 8 or 10 frame equipment.  If 10 you can run deep mediums or shallow honey supers.  I use medium and shallow, I am nearly 65 and have some back problems.  The older beek that I got my start from used all shallow honey supers and I did for a few years.

Good luck to you and your bees whatever you decide to use.

Joe D

Sorry for putting about the same thing coa, I like the shallows also, my extractor will do 6 shallow or 6 mediums.

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 02:07:48 am »
I'm 69 and running 9 frames in a 10 frame full deep. Finishing off the portable crane to lift the boxes onto a cart to to take them to my flying fox to winch them 50 meters up to the house where it will terminate at the door to the extraction room. - work smarter not harder.
David L

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 08:45:16 am »
I am 31 and I regularly lift 50- 100 pounds and carry it short distances for my work so I am not worried about the weight of a box

Should you be lucky enough to grow old you will have to adjust your plan.  You can grow muscle at any age.  What doesn't work so well as you get older is the replacement of the joint tissue.
I run all 8 frame mediums and when they are full of honey I think they are too heavy.  Thank God I am only dealing with 6 or 8 heavy ones.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2016, 09:14:32 am »
I am running 10 frame deeps and got 10 frame mediums for my honey supers. I am really hoping to get honey this year but if I do not there is always next year.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2016, 11:58:51 am »
Would have been nice to stick with all mediums. Everything would fit. How many hives do you have?
John 3:16

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2016, 01:08:38 pm »
Just two. They are my first two hives so I am just hoping this year not to kill them.

Offline SmokeEater2

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2016, 01:37:42 pm »
I switched to all mediums a few years ago and Ive never regretted it. Much easier to handle and the bees winter over in 3 just fine.

I really like the fact that I can pull a frame out of any box in any hive for use in another if needed. Brushy Mountain sells some nice medium Nucs that I'm using this year for splits so that's not a problem either.

All of my deep boxes are being converted into swarm traps or cut down to mediums.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2016, 01:44:36 pm »
I am really hoping to get honey this year but if I do not there is always next year.
When you are just starting out you don't have any resources like drawn comb so the hives are slower to expand and they also consume honey to draw the comb.  You could have a banner year where your bees store enough for you and them but that is a lot of hoping.  It is better to leave them too much the first year then to take a shade more than they need otherwise you start all over again next year.  Supers are usually not static.  The bees store in them when there is plenty of nectar and consume it when there isn't.  It is hard to predict that cycle in the first year.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2016, 02:35:38 pm »
Just two. They are my first two hives so I am just hoping this year not to kill them.

The reason I asked how may is what was stated by others . Change over now or next year.... while you have just a few deeps. And I too was going to suggest turn the deeps into swarm traps. They are suppose to be the ideal capacity for traps. Just put medium frames in the traps. The bees will not care.

Draw back...still hard in some places to find medium nucs w bees if you want to buy any..

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2016, 02:52:41 pm »
I am really hoping to get honey this year but if I do not there is always next year.
When you are just starting out you don't have any resources like drawn comb so the hives are slower to expand and they also consume honey to draw the comb.  You could have a banner year where your bees store enough for you and them but that is a lot of hoping.  It is better to leave them too much the first year then to take a shade more than they need otherwise you start all over again next year.  Supers are usually not static.  The bees store in them when there is plenty of nectar and consume it when there isn't.  It is hard to predict that cycle in the first year.
This is the part that isn't made clear to us new beeks when we're starting. Drawn comb is so important for honey harvest.  And it takes so long for the girls to draw foundation. So unless you feed, feed, feed your little nuc and keep them working on comb for next year, next year's flow will be half over before they get a box drawn. *sigh*

To the OP, I'm 38 and wear a brown uniform during the day, so lifting and carrying is no prob. The issue with bee boxes is that you have to hold them out perpendicular to the ground and carefully put them down on a hive of bees. So if you can afford the extra gear for the same box volume, it's probably worth it to go smaller. I'm a second -year, and have allowed these guys to talk me into all mediums.  A medium box full of honey held out perpendicular is heavy.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2016, 03:00:33 pm »
Draw back...still hard in some places to find medium nucs w bees if you want to buy any..

Put the 5 deep frames in two medium boxes and the bees still won't care.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2016, 03:02:07 pm »
I just may switch to all mediums next year. Catching swarms sounds fun and a good way to grow my hives.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2016, 03:44:46 pm »
A medium box full of honey held out perpendicular is heavy.

That is why you go 8 frame but the cost is more for beespace. I run deeps and shallows. Always just one deep and shallows until this year. Ended up with a 10 frame deep of honey I latched onto a few days ago. I am still paying the price today :cry:

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2016, 05:19:37 pm »
When should I harvest the honey this year if I even have anything year?

Offline PhilK

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2016, 08:10:23 pm »
We run 10 frame deeps for brood and supers - easy to switch frames over between hives and supers etc, and less material needed for supers and frames (will have less boxes on a hive as they are larger).
They can get very heavy but I am normally beekeeping with a mate so it isn't a big deal

anything