Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How to get ready for winter?  (Read 2345 times)

Offline papabear

• House Bee
How to get ready for winter?
« on: September 16, 2007, 12:04:23 pm »
How do I get ready for winter in south louisiana? What do I need to do?
"IF YOU BELIEVE THAT JESUS DIED FOR U, YOU WILL HAVE ETERNAL LIFE."

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: How to get ready for winter?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 12:08:36 pm »
I was in South Louisiana in December once.  I don't believe you have winter down there.  Does it stay in the 50's F for any length of time?
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline papabear

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 12:14:32 pm »
we get weather around the 30's for a few times but most of the days are around 40 to 50 for highs.
"IF YOU BELIEVE THAT JESUS DIED FOR U, YOU WILL HAVE ETERNAL LIFE."

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 03:42:39 pm »
Anyone from Southern LA (not Los Angeles) with some advice?
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Patrick

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 10:23:14 pm »
Here in Southern California we don't do much for winter. The sun gets low and sometimes we move our hives if the summer spot they are in is shady in the winter.  That little bit of warm sun really can help. The end of summer is hot and dry so many feed their bees if they need it in the fall.   It rains hard here in the winter so I tilt my hive a bit to help the water run off the hive.  Down here w really only need about 30 lbs of honey for winter.  Generally the bees are flying all winter. Where I am at there is a Eucalyptus flow that can start in December so the trick is to make sure you are ready for the early spring flow, but not to leave to much empty space in case it gets cold. Hope this helps. I know there are some more knowledgeable than me who might chime in.
Cheers,
Patrick

Offline UtahBees

• House Bee
    • My Photos on Flickr
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 12:10:43 am »
I think MB meant Southern Louisiana (LA). I grew up in LA (Chatsworth, California), so I had to read his request twice myself.

:mrgreen:

Regards,

UtahBees

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 12:33:22 am »
I'm in Georgia where it's not much different than where you are, although we get a little colder. 

I do nothing for winter besides get the hive into two boxes and feed them for the next couple of months to make sure they have enough supplies.  Last winter I kept doing a Scarlet O'Hara about checking the hives and one starved to death.  This year I am checking every couple of weeks to make sure they have enough stores....I promise.

Linda T now back in Atlanta

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 01:15:31 am »
sure I am from south La. (Denham Springs), all you need is a single deep or a deep and medium  and thats about all the need, my Father has hives there now and all of his are double deep, you should have a fall flow there before long, you do not have to do anything to winterize hives except put a mouse guard on them and reduce the entrance (you really dont even have to reduce the entrance, its just good practice ;) ), make sure they have good stores by the mid part of october.... they should do fine......
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

anything