Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I hate surprises!  (Read 5974 times)

Offline Mchero

• New Bee
    • http://home.comcast.net/~nhpinball
I hate surprises!
« on: June 29, 2004, 05:24:58 pm »
1st of June I purchased 2 NUC's. Placed them out in an abandoned apple orchard with owners permission. A week later I installed a Critter Gitter to keep the varmets away. Was just out at the hives last sunday afternoon. Last inspection the bees where in hi-gear!

This morning at work I get an email from the person that lives next door to the bees. Told me that Sunday afternoon the alarm went off 5 times and it also went off this AM before leaving for work. She did see a deer on the way to work.

I'm going out this afternoon to check the two hives out. I'm praying they are still in one piece. It's a 25 minute drive out to them. Will keep you all posted!

RM

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
I hate surprises!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2004, 06:56:45 pm »
Good Luck
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline Archie

• House Bee
I hate surprises!
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2004, 08:17:20 pm »
Mchero

I have a net electric fence to keep out the bears and it works for me.  Here is a web site that shows the fence  

http://www.premier1supplies.com/store/prod_search.html?subcat_id=53&pcat_id=23

Archie
Honey, Vermont sunshine in a bottle.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
I hate surprises!
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2004, 08:37:44 pm »
Hey Archie,

Which energizer are you using?  I'm in the process of clearing an area around my property to install a perimeter fences (5 strands of IntelliRope II) to keep the deer out.   How have your dealings been with Premier?  They seem like good folks.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Anonymous

I hate surprises!
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2004, 09:20:12 pm »
YEEEE HAW!

Both hives where OK. Nothing has appeared to be playing with them. Looks like I should chalk one up for the Critter Gitter! I refreshed the sugar water & did a quick inspection on both hives. Looks like the hives will be ready for a 2nd deep super in about two weeks! Better order my new hive bodies!

So far so good up her in New Hampshire! Boy I was worried!

RM

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
I hate surprises!
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2004, 09:37:51 pm »
Congrats!

I've considered a Britter Gitter or similar. I am out in the country, and skunks and racoons are common, and even bears aren't unheard of.

I'm glad to hear yours worked!
Lesli

Offline Mchero

• New Bee
    • http://home.comcast.net/~nhpinball
I hate surprises!
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2004, 02:10:22 pm »
Get the Critter Gitter! The Britter Gitter is a cheap knockoff!

RM

Quote from: Lesli
Congrats!

I've considered a Britter Gitter or similar. I am out in the country, and skunks and racoons are common, and even bears aren't unheard of.

I'm glad to hear yours worked!

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
I hate surprises!
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2004, 03:08:44 pm »
Quote from: Mchero
Get the Critter Gitter! The Britter Gitter is a cheap knockoff!

RM

Hehe. I have a cat named "Britta," and I'd hate to see her Git! Or is that Got?
Lesli

Offline Archie

• House Bee
I hate surprises!
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2004, 05:53:17 pm »
Robo

My bee yard is close to the house so I just ran a heavy duty extension cord to an energizer  for horses.  I know a bear did stick his nose on it once and has never been back.    I also have a Galagher solar energizer that packs a lot of wallop but I like the ac type best.  it will burn thru the high grass that goes oup around it and still puts out a lot of zap.

Archie
Honey, Vermont sunshine in a bottle.

anything