Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: A question abour foundations  (Read 2073 times)

Offline cbarton

• New Bee
A question abour foundations
« on: January 14, 2006, 01:09:01 pm »
I am about to purchase my first hive and have a question about the compostion and color of the foundation material.  The equipment I plan to buy has Pierco foundations available in either black or white.  I have been told that using black foundation makes it easier for beginners to locate the queen, but am wondering if there are any other reasons to chose one color over another.  

I would also be interested in any comments about waxed plastic foundation e.g. Pierco, Plasticel etc. Local beekeepers in my area seemed to be evenly split on their utility.

Thanks in advance for your help
cb
Craig B

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2006, 02:51:09 pm »
I use pierco, the black is easier to see eggs and larva, bee's seem to draw out the black faster but I have seen them draw white out fast also, but seeing the eggs and larva is alot easier on the black.

heres some pictures of a 1 month old package on black pierco.

http://www.beemaster.com/beebbs/viewtopic.php?t=2466
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2006, 03:02:29 pm »
I'm no expert on plastic, but I have tried the black and it is easier to see eggs/brood in the cells.  Some claim the bees prefer the black over white, but then again if you where going with what the bees preferred, you would be using wax or starter strips.

I don't recall hearing anyone that disliked the black though.

Please update your profile, so he know what part of the world your in,  it can be important depending on your questions.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006, 05:26:57 pm »
It seems like I've heard both, which makes me think timing has as much to do with it as anything.  IF i'm using plastic, the black is nice int he brood nest to see eggs and the white is nice in the honey supers to see the color of the honey so you can sort into light and dark when you harvest.  But I've never bothered with much of the black.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2006, 06:02:43 pm »
right now, I have all pierco 1 piece frames and foundation for brrod nest and have wood frames with wax foundation for honey supers.,
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic