Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Does anyone have this extractor?  (Read 4028 times)

Offline mherndon

• House Bee
  • New Bee
Does anyone have this extractor?
« on: June 02, 2009, 10:20:37 pm »

Does any one have one of these extractors?  Pros or Cons?

http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/images/802-9FrmExtractor.jpg

Mark
Starting my 3rd year and still having a ball!

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: Does anyone have this extractor?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 10:29:22 pm »
The con that I immediately see is that it is not electric. I have a two frame manual, and it will work you to death. I used it once. Now I extract at a friends house using his 36 frame radial.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline mherndon

• House Bee
  • New Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 10:51:43 pm »
This is a radial extractor.  I was told this would save time by not having to turn the frames over and re-spin.  It does shallow and mediums radially and deeps by tangential.

Mark
Starting my 3rd year and still having a ball!

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 07:10:12 am »
   Mark............

Buy one made in the USA at will last you 2 lifetimes

http://www.maxantindustries.com/

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 08:35:46 am »
I am looking at the same extractor but agree with the above posts.........I'm going to get the motorized version!

Have looked at the Maxants as well but I'm not sure that I'm reading the description correctly.  The 9F looks like it is actually a 6/3 instead of 9 frames at one time.  Am I reading this right?

"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 07:19:15 am »
I can call Maxant in MA. and ask Questions about Maxant equipment and get  OEM parts if I need to

Who do I call off shore :? :? :idunno:

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 08:43:23 am »
Tis true, Jim!

But since Maxant is the best, why would I need to discuss a problem concerning Maxant equipment or need replacement parts?   :-D
"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 06:19:03 pm »
I got lucky a few years back and paid $600 for a 12/20 frame Walter T. Kelly extractor that was only used 1 time and then was stored for about 5 year, I like my Kelly better than the Maxant 20 framer(but that's me), Both are very good but I wouldn't say Maxant was the best, it is prettier and it doesn't seem to be made with the same thickness of stainless (weight tells me this). the Maxant is cheaper in cost. if you got the money get a motorized radial and not a hand crank radial. your arms will thank you if you have a number of hives from what I heard anyway, the Kelly below was my first extractor to use and own, I never did the crank thing.

20 frame maxant is $1275.00
20 frame kelly is $1650.00
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 05:46:14 pm »

Tis true, Jim!

But since Maxant is the best, why would I need to discuss a problem concerning Maxant equipment or need replacement parts?   :-D

Two Bees .....

Even Rolls Royce needs parts sometimes  :roll:

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 07:19:35 am by Jim 134 »
        Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Offline jimmy

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 10:25:56 pm »
I just bought  a Maxant 3100P . Have been pleased with it . I am a small operator w/no intentions of getting larger at my age. This extractor will probally last thur my grandchilderns life time. JMHO

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 12:59:45 am »
Dadant and Maxant both have good extractors in several sizes.  Many people are happy with the Brushy or Mann Lake imported extractors as well.  They pretty much all work.  This is something you use a few days a year.  Don't mortgage the farm for it.  Find a used one if possible.  Most people will never wear one out.
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

Offline utahbeekeeper

• House Bee
    • Millcreek Valley Farm
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2009, 02:16:38 pm »
YES   I have this one and I LOVE IT.  I want to be self sufficient so I bought the hand crank one.  With only a half a dozen hives, it is no big deal.  Around here in July and Sept for the 2 harvests, the honey spins out very quickly.  It does not "work me to death" at all.  Have had it for 3 seasons now.

HOWEVER, I still saw studs and the like with my Dad's old crosscut hand saw too.  I like working A LITTLE at some things . . . . makes me feel good.
Pleasant words are like an honeycomb, sweet to the soul and health to the bones.  Prov 16:24