Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Another Season Begins  (Read 1672 times)

Offline Chad S

• House Bee
Another Season Begins
« on: March 13, 2006, 01:14:47 pm »
Went out to put some pollen patties (Sponge Bob Fans: Crabbie Patties for Bees)on the hive on Saturday.  We had a nice warm sunny afternoon.  My son (6) got a chance to try out his new veil.  I got stung on the back of the neck through my veil on the first hive.  So we re-grouped and got the smoker out.  Smoke got everyone mellowed out no problems after that.  Turns out I lost a colony over the winter.  It was deceptive because it was active.  Turns out it was being robbed.  Took 40lb or so deep, and put it on my best hive making it a tripple deep.  I am hoping to use the third deep for an increase in Late May.  Took the second deep from the dead hive, and put it between the deep, and a shollow that I had on one of my smaller colony's.  There was not much honey in this deep, but I wanted to give this colony a little more space, and some drawn out comb.  I also wanted to get some space between the deep and the shallow before the queen started laying in it.  I am going to hold off on syrup for a couple of weeks.  I figure if we get a situation where the brood gets chilled it won't help them to have to start over again.

Off to another season!

Chad