Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Free Labour In Manitoba  (Read 2862 times)

Offline new-bee

• Brood
Free Labour In Manitoba
« on: February 14, 2006, 03:45:45 pm »
Well I guess if you're reading this than free labour interests you and chances are you live in Manitoba.

Just recently I became interested in honey bees and beekeeping. I have read a lot about the subject and think that it is something that I would like to do,maybe jsut as a hobby or eventually as a part time business.

I am looking for an established beekeeper who lives in Winnipeg (or surrounding area), who would be willing to let me work closely with them for one or two seasons so that I can get some hands on experiance before investing money.

This would be a great oppertunity for you to pass on the knowledge and advice to the next generation beekeeper (i'm 18). Since I am young, the heavy lifting will not be a problem for me and I do have access to a vehicle most of the time.

If you're interested leave a reply on the message board with your name, and email address and i'll contact you to make further arrangements.

Thanx,
Steve

Offline Jack Parr

• House Bee
FREE LABOR ???
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 08:37:11 pm »
new bee, if you want to do free labor then do so but learning to keep bees is not very difficult, I assure you.

First you start with the purchase of rudementry equipment and go from there. Just buy one hive setup and if you are handy with basic woodworking tools you can easily build all the that you would need in the future. Buying and using the first purchased equipment as patterns is a no brainer.

Buy a package and a queen and put them into the box according to the book instructions will get you started.

Reading these forums will overload you at first but after awhile things will
begin to make sense and you are on your way with your own setup.

Thats pretty much how I started. However I purchased a nuc and a full hive from a guy wanting to downsize. I also did captures pretty much using info gleaned from these boards and books.

While you are waiting and working for free you could be doing your own thing.

Good luck 8)

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Re: FREE LABOR ???
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 08:52:08 pm »
Quote from: Jack Parr
Reading these forums will overload you at first but after awhile things will
begin to make sense and you are on your way with your own setup.

While you are waiting and working for free you could be doing your own thing.

Good luck 8)

you can learn yourself like Jack has said, alot of us have (me included), but if you can find a beekeeper in your area that can help you and answer your questions, it will help you understand alot faster plus gives you someone who can show you some tricks of the trade, but like jack said, dont wait you will miss alot of fun and some good self taught learning and experience. these forums can help alot and with every question you may come up with.... Goodluck!!!!
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline FordGuy

• House Bee
Re: Free Labour In Manitoba
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 12:23:50 am »
Quote from: new-bee
Well I guess if you're reading this than free labour interests you and chances are you live in Manitoba.

Just recently I became interested in honey bees and beekeeping. I have read a lot about the subject and think that it is something that I would like to do,maybe jsut as a hobby or eventually as a part time business.

I am looking for an established beekeeper who lives in Winnipeg (or surrounding area), who would be willing to let me work closely with them for one or two seasons so that I can get some hands on experiance before investing money.

This would be a great oppertunity for you to pass on the knowledge and advice to the next generation beekeeper (i'm 18). Since I am young, the heavy lifting will not be a problem for me and I do have access to a vehicle most of the time.

If you're interested leave a reply on the message board with your name, and email address and i'll contact you to make further arrangements.

Thanx,
Steve

very few things in life (that require you to put money down) can safely be self taught.  The internet certainly changes that equation, but you will always come out better by having an experienced beekeeper teach you.  He may even help you get some cheap equipment.

Offline Jack Parr

• House Bee
SO
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 06:38:02 am »
putting money down???? is the make or break test to success??? I am not overly familiar with Canadian society but I think that the concept of the self made man does prevail there in spite of their tendencies towards left leaning government, which has just recently made a course correction, to the right. But that's another story. :)

I have put money down at McDonald ( not often ) and truth to tell, I figured out how to force that junk food down, without an experienced hamburger eater guiding me. :P

I also flew helicopters and THAT requires some outside help. But beekeeping I will say can easily be self taught.  :lol:

There is so much knowledge available on beekeeping that anyone who can figure out how to get to this forum can learn how to keep bees. Solo. And,
In particular a young fresh mind should be able to absorbe the knowledge like a sponge me thinks????  :?:

But if anyone is into working for FREE then have at it. Sound more like a negative self concept to me. :idea:

Offline Matz

• New Bee
Free Labour In Manitoba
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 12:37:36 am »
Hey New-Bee, I assume that you live here in Peg, so what I suggest is you go down to the Beemaid Co-op (right near Highlander arena at the end of Ellice ave) and post your name/number on the cork board that they have for public postings.  They may even be able to give you some advice or pass your name around.

Offline ApisM

• House Bee
Hello
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 08:29:19 pm »
I think you are all missing the point in this forum.  New Bee probably wants commerical experience, and there is a big difference.  Especially when it comes to timing of nectar flow and stuff.  Backyard beekeeping is just a start and one can get overly anxious starting off (not knowing whats normal).

My suggestion is purchase some colonies, as well as, help a commerical beekeeper (at the same time).  If you go to beemaid they will probably find someone who will even pay you.  Your colonies will keep you asking questions, as you do grunt work.

Cheers
It is easier to catch flies with honey than with vinegar

Offline Jack Parr

• House Bee
Finding beekeepers
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2006, 07:08:52 am »
I have found several beekeepers located in the western plains of Canada.

Do a search.  There is one named " French Bee Farm " located in
Notre Dame De Lourdes, Manitoba.  Seems like a fairly large operation. Very labor intensive, keeping bees in Canada.
Pierre Faure is the operator.

There is also a guy, Jean Marc, who frequents the Beesource forum and he keeps bees in western Canada, BC I think. From what I gather most of them would like some cheap laborers.  But, free labor!!! WOW.

I am in the southern US and I found those websites without much effort.