Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Has anyone converted a shipping container into a honey extracting room?  (Read 7518 times)

Offline Johnny253

• House Bee
Hi,

I'm at the stage where I need to set up a honey extracting room. I am looking at getting a 20' by 8' shipping container and installing a glass sliding door, a window or two, power points, running water and a sink. I will put a corrugated iron roof over the container to stop it from getting too hot in summer but I don't think it would be worth getting it insulated.

The container should have plenty of space to extract honey, assemble frames and boxes and store equipment and honey.

I am looking for ideas on how to set this all up. Has anyone set up a honey extracting room similar to this? What layout did you use? What works well? What doesn't work so well?

Thanks,
Jon

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Jon,
Sounds like a good idea. I was looking for one of these units to use as a storage shed for our club apiary and could not get the 20 footer unit but for not too much more I could have quickly had a 40 footer delivered. You will probably, very quickly, run out of space in the 20 footer.
Just a thought.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
Johnny253.........

I have seen pictures of this being done in Canada with a full tractor trailer so it can be moved easily from place to place I believe it was 48 Ft.Long and 8 Ft.wide

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Moots

Johnny,
Sounds like a good idea, keep us posted...

As to it being worth getting it insulated...This may be an option, it's a do it yourself product.  A friend of mine just used it on a project and was impressed, my understanding is that it's was both easy and affordable.
Foam it Green!

Good Luck!

Offline Spear

• House Bee
My honey room is a converted shipping container. I'm not sure of the dimensions but it is a bit small to use as storage and frame assembly so I do the frames at home and store the other equipment anywhere I can find space. We have running water and power so it suits our needs for now...

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
If one is not big enough you could do what my sister did (not for bees) and use two parallel with a space between and roof over the lot. One for extraction - one for frame assembly storage and the space between for storing spare boxes and bulky stuff.
David L