Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: are eyelets worth the trouble?  (Read 2818 times)

Offline charlescfry

• New Bee
    • Fry Farms
are eyelets worth the trouble?
« on: August 14, 2008, 08:52:37 pm »
ok... these stupid things are one more step in the assembly of frames. and my fat fingers dont do well with the detail work! so... is it worth the time and effort to put eyelets in frames? i am going to be building a lot of rames this winter, and don't want to spend the time if more experienced folks say it is not worth it.

comments? thanks in advance!
==================================
Charles Fry
Amateur Farmer & Entremanure
Fry Farms, Ohio, USA

Offline jimmyo

• House Bee
Re: are eyelets worth the trouble?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 07:28:48 am »
I think they are worth the trouble.
try putting the eyelet on one of those drill bit/countersink / screwdriver tip bits.  put the eyelet on the bit and shove it in the hole. don't poke your finger. the eyelet will come off on the wood when you pull the bit out.
Jim

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 12:46:56 pm »
We use an old icepick.  Just put one eyelet on the icepick backwards,then press the pick into one of the eyelet holes hard to push the eyelet up hard on the pick. When you pull the pick out that eyelet will then remain on the pick and will act as a stop for the others.  Then you just drop the eyelets onto the pick one at a time and rapidly shove them into the frame.  With a little practice you will become pretty quick at it.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 08:01:11 pm »
I've never used them.  Some people put a staple under the hole so the wire rests on it and it keeps it from splitting the end bar.  I just use nothing.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 08:42:06 pm »
I bought the eyelets and the wire three years ago. Haven't used any of it.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 09:48:08 pm »
If you plan on wiring then you need something to keep the wire from cutting into the wood otherwise you won't be able to keep the wire tight.  I find the eyelets using the tool to be easier then trying to line up a stapler.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

anything