Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: D.E. hive plans  (Read 6359 times)

Offline stinger27

• New Bee
D.E. hive plans
« on: September 26, 2005, 03:35:49 am »
Hey I've just discovered the D.E. Hive.  Does anyone have detailed plans for the construction of this hive, or for the modification kit for the langstroth.  I'm also curious how you change the set-up from summer to winter as far as ventilation goes.
Bee Safe,
    Stinger27

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
D.E. hive plans
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 08:19:42 am »
I don't know of any plans.  You could buy one from David Eyre (hence D.E.) of www.beeworks.com and use it for a pattern.  Or come here and I'll sell you one cheap.  :)  They are nice hives and I have four of them (plus odds and ends) but I need standard equipment.

The Winter/Summer adjustment is that you flip the nex to the top box (the vent box below the lid) over and the lid covers the vents on the lower box for winter.  You flip it back and they are exposed for summer.  The is a set of vents on the top cover that are open all year around.

It is the appropriate amount of ventilation with the solid bottom board that comes with it.  But I find a SBB with a top entrance seems to work fine for me.  I close off the botom entrance entirely and prop the top cover up with Shingle shims.  Either prop the inner cover up or put a migratory cover on with shims to hold it.

http://www.bushfarms.com/images/MigratoryTopEntrance2.JPG
http://www.bushfarms.com/images/MigratoryTopEntrance1.JPG
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline stinger27

• New Bee
SBB
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 04:02:27 am »
Thanks Michael,
   Did I understand correctly, do you leave your SBB open all winter?
Bee Safe,
    Stinger27

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
D.E. hive plans
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 08:50:22 am »
I do NOT leave my SBB open all winter.  I might slide the tray back to leave a crack (since I don't have any bottom entrances anymore) but no more than that.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Dale

• New Bee
    • Northeastern PA Beekeeping
D.E. hive plans
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005, 08:44:57 pm »
I leave my SBB open all winter.  As long as you don't have a major draft blowing up through, it does not hurt the cluster.  Remember, bees don't heat the hive, they heat the inside of the cluster.
Dale Richards
Dal-Col Apiaries
Drums, PA
www.hazleton.net/users/dalcol

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
D.E. hive plans
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 08:24:11 am »
>as you don't have a major draft blowing up through, it does not hurt the cluster.

I'm guessing -20 F with a 60 MPH wind would be a "major draft"?
-------------------

anything