Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Going away mid-week!!! HAve fun in the forums  (Read 3183 times)

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Going away mid-week!!! HAve fun in the forums
« on: April 25, 2005, 12:17:23 pm »
Hey everyone:

Starting Wednesday night I'll be away until LATE Sunday evening - the weather doesn't look so great, it will be in the low 60s and cloudy (if not rainy) all those days according to long-range forecast. But then again they can't get TODAYS weather right most of the time, so my fingers are crossed.

I'm glad the days of tenting it are long behind us - going in a upscale motorcoach has it's advantages in this weather. I have dual propane and electric heat, hot water and double side fridge with ice maker. So we'll be warm, I'll be using the electric heat since we are paying for 50amp service - which saves my propane for future trips.

My biggest worry (if you can call it that) is DVDs which I'll be bringing with us - they don't have cable at this campground (frst time THAT has happened) we are really roughing it without at least 90 channels of cable - lol.

I'm giving great thought of getting 4 or 5 months worth of satalite service for the bus - we have a 18 inch dish mounted and wired already from the previous owners, we just need the receiver. For around $40 a month, we can have 150 channels of digital quality TV anywhere we go - which will be really cool when we go to the NASCAR race at Watkins Glen, NY in August. There will be THREE races there that weekend - all for the price of ONE preferred general Admission ticket.

We are going to be just beyond the start finish line (well within site) 30 rows up, directly across from pit road and the giant jumbo-tron TV and near the infamous TURN ONE where cars go from 180mph to 55mph to make the 90 degree turn. A few years ago, Kenny Wallace had complete brake failure and plowed into the NEWLY ADDED 6 foot thick foam barriers - saving his life. His speed at the time he hit the wall was nearly 180mph and the previous wall was a 4 foot thick concrete barrier. The foam saved his life, no doubt.

So, in August, we have PERFECT seats, close by campsite for the RV, but all these tracks have no hookups, so we will surely make use of the generator (240volts - 50amps - 5500watts) and all the other fully self contained systems aboard.

Tracey will not be on this trip - it is a guy trip. Hopefully, the three of us won't kill each other, or at least someone WON'T be taking public transit home - lol.

It will be nice to see these guys away from work (in the case of one guy) and without the rest of the families coming along (as is the case with the other) I can't wait to really rough it at the Glen.

The only question is DO WE TOW THE CAR? I'm debating this because Watkins Glen has a few main roads and 180,000 people at the Glen could cause some serious traffic problems, not to mention the LINES to all the local attractions. So we may just RV it, watch movies on the way down and back (all except for the driver - ugh) but the other two will be tapping the beer and having much more fun then me BOTH routes there and back.

Oh well.... I was just home for lunch, felt like BSing a bit and to let you know that I'll be away for a few days this week. Wish me good weather, either way - my main interests are: it is close to home, so if my Mom needs anythng I can help and it is a GET-A-WAY for my wife who just lost her father about a month ago now. Everyone could use some down time, that's for sure.

Talk later :)
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 12:27:15 pm »
Not knowing anything about where you are going, I would say, tow the car. It's nice to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Lechwe

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 12:46:54 pm »
Enjoy the "camping " trip:) You need to get back into real roughing it, builds character:)

I'm a little envious of the NASCAR races. I have been wanting to go to one just can't justify the expense and I live only 40 minutes form MIS (Michigan International Speedway)

Won't be doing much with the bees until the snow melts again.

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 01:45:38 pm »
Beemaster, remind me when we're closer to August. I live about 10 minutes from Watkins, so if you don't mind seeing a "girl" during a "boy's" weekend, we should meet up.
Lesli

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 04:48:34 pm »
We are closer to August about the end of June. Remember?
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 04:55:58 pm »
Lesli:

It sounds like a date :) I'd love to take advantage of the location to you for a visit - I'll keep you updated!!!

Lechwe - we have a pretty famous SMALL OVAL called Wall Stadium near me - 1/3rd mile, 33 degree banked turns 28 degree banked on the straight-away, I love going there, it has incredible speed for such a small track.

Watching Full-Block Modified there is really something, it is just a blur of steal, almost like a pickeral swimming by  at lightening speed in a stream.

I've always wanted to go to a road course, and non is better on the circuit then Watkins Glen, NY - about 6 to 7 hours from here no matter which route I take, so it falls under "Adventure" to me: toss Dry Rving and 3 days of road course together - wow!!

The seats (which is part of a brand new grand-stand that is STILL being built) were very affordable $105 for guareteed seating on the Bushe and Nextel Cup race and general admission for the Friday race (I'm not sure without looking what race Friday is) but then there are the qualifying and happy hour races for all. The Rving spot was $175 for 4 days, we'll get there early Friday and leave early Moday - after the crowds come and go both ways.

More later...
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 09:50:28 pm »
I hope the weather works out for you and Tracey John. Have a great time, bye :D
Ryan Horn

Offline Beecharmer

• New Bee
Nascar
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2005, 11:29:10 am »
Hey, Sounds like you know how to live at the races!  Bryon & I and 5 other couples are leaving for Talladega, AL on Thursday.  We are camping in the infield in a TENT.  Ugh... I really like the comforts of home, but I'm sure we will have fun.  Unfortunately the forecast is for rain on Sunday :cry: So, if you see a tall blonde beekeeper this Sunday on tv, that's me!
"Outside of a good book, a dog is a man's best friend: and inside a dog, it's too dark to read."  Groucho Marx