Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The beautiful llamas of my neighbour  (Read 4073 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
The beautiful llamas of my neighbour
« on: December 30, 2007, 10:55:25 am »
The other day I was at the chickenyard, just looking and taking pictures.  The neighbours two llamas came over to see what I was doing.  Man are they magnificent creatures, they are so tall, I wish that I could get close to touch them, but they are flighty creatures.  Maybe if they were mine, they would be more friendly, but they see me as the stranger that might do them harm, not a doubt in my mind.

I don't know when she got the second one, it is smaller, so I would venture that it is younger.  I love to look at her farmyard.  It is very beautifully kept and she has the gorgeous sheep too. I think she said that they were Angora sheep.  She also has chickens and two horses and a little miniature something or other, I think it is a horse too.  Have the best and most wonderful day, Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
Re: The beautiful llamas of my neighbour
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 05:40:12 pm »
I wish that I could get close to touch them...

Be careful, Cindi, be careful. These animals spit out with right aim.
Wear raincoat and glasses. ;)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 10:03:32 am »
Abejaruco, you have got to be kidding!!!  Well then, I must be a lucky woman.  Yesterday was a nice day, it was quite warm so I spent quite a lot of time outside hangin' out with the chickens and ducks.  We are combining both our chicken yards and I wanted to keep watch on them all.  The roosters had the best day of the life with the new hens that they were finally allowed to visit.

My Sister and I were over looking at the big Llama.  He is absolutely fascinated with me, didn't bother about her and it was weird.  I would walk to one side of the fence (some distance away, and now I am glad that I did, considering you say that they spit) and he would follow me.  I walked back to the other end he would follow me.  He was looking at me with the most deep intent that it was giving me the willies.  It was really starting to freak me out.  I have never seen an animal stare like that before.  Humans are not a new species to him, I know his owner handles him.  But he would follow me, stare at me with these great big black eyes.  His fur is so dark it is actually kind of hard to see his eyes, other than the gleam from the light of the day.  What a magnificent creature, I couldn't stop staring at him either.  I venture that the top of his head must be about 10 feet up from the ground, his back perhaps close to five feet from the ground.  In horse lingo, I would venture he was about 15 h.h.

Tell me about the spit.  I am curious.  Have you ever been spit on by one?  How do they do that action?  Is it slimy or watery, stinky?  I have a very curious nature and I would love to know more.  Have a wonderful and greatest of days.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 01:23:16 pm »
Not sure how the llama sends the "presents". I know that it is used as watchdog to put away hawkers. :-D (joke).

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 02:32:46 pm »
Llamas are in the camelid family so yes, they do spit, but only when provoked, angry, etc.  For the most part they don't, especially those that are used to people.  I love alpacas, myself, they are absolutely adorable!  I posted these pictures earlier, but here they are again:

I love their eyes, they have long, lovely eyelashes, although these photos don't do that justice!  :)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 11:58:00 am »
Ann, I remember your post with all those great pictures, it was when you went to a fair around your community or something like that.  Have a wonderful day, Cindi

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 03:10:19 pm »
Cindi, Abe is right, and what I wanted to say is what Ann stated, that Llamas are related to camels. Yrs ago, like a thousand yrs ago, when I was a kid, our grammer school class attended the Audubon Zoo in New Orleans, and a great big camel spat in the teacher's eye. Of course they said I talked the camel in to doing that, cause I was a mischevious kid, can you believe that? Anyway, it was green and slimy, and lots of it. It was the epitome of grossness, I swear. Ann. I like those pics, those animals are beautiful. The Llamas look like misfits to me, like mistakes, they are weird to look at.

Grossed out thinking of camel spit, JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline mark

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 05:34:48 pm »
      a llama is only half of a pushmepullyou.  whether it is the front half or the rear half all depends on your point of view. :-\ :-D

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 11:49:21 pm »
JP, imagine that, blamed for convincing the camel to spit in the teacher's eye, well, they must have had their eye on you, you little brat!!!  Hee, hee.

Mark, pushmepullyou, I remember that creature, Dr. Doolittle, cool.  Have a wonderful and good day.  Cindi

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 12:39:42 am »
Cindi, I know this is off the subject of llamas, but I got blamed once at a high school party for eating fish out of the people's fish tank, now why on earth would someone assume I would eat someone's pet fish, is beyond me, but to this day people talk about the party, where I ate the fish.

I swear I didn't eat the pet fish, JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 10:26:30 am »
JP, OK, now you are making me do that squeeky little laugh, the one that I do quietly so I don't wake people up, and they think that I am nuts.  That is a hoot and a hollar  :lol: :lol: :-D :-D :shock:.

So, you must have been known as a prankster when you were a kid.  The spit from the animal in the teacher's eye, the fish in the fish bowl missing at a party.  OK, come on, fess up, you were a prankster.  You just aren't telling us so, we can read between the lines.   Your pals blamed you for eating the fish, if they didn't think it was that prankster side of you coming through, they would have blamed someone else.  That is a totally funnnnnneeeeee thing.  Thanks for making my day, have the best of a wonderful day, Cindi

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2008, 10:46:32 am »
Not tellin' ;) :-D ;)

Well maybe I was , maybe I wasn't, JP

Offline mark

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2008, 06:25:38 pm »
i never TOOK anyones fish but i could tell a story about putting a guppy in a water cooler that someone ELSE kept taking out.  it wasn't easy keeping them alive and putting them IN there.