Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Northerners, I have a NEW respect for you today!!!  (Read 4568 times)

Offline Bees In Miami

• House Bee
Northerners, I have a NEW respect for you today!!!
« on: December 20, 2012, 09:55:45 pm »
Kudos to all you Northern and frozen ones that over-winter bees year after year!!!   :cheer:  Here I am in South Florida, and pretty much stressing out over a couple nights in the low 40's.  I always say that it is all relative...I am not used to 40* temps, nor are my girls!  First time going into this kind of weather with my girls.  (They were kind to me this spring and fall!).  I HAD to do a split a couple weeks ago, so I am concerned for the NUC mostly.  And I am concerned for my other 'weak' hive (working 9 of 10 frames thus far)...both of which have SBB.  I added the mite board this afternoon as a bit of insulation.  My strong hives all have solid bottoms, so not concerned about them too much.  Anything else I should do??  I have absolutely no clue what breed I have, as all hives came from swarms.  (Though according to my State inspector a couple weeks ago, they are "text book perfect"....which I just about jumped around in celebration to hear!)  Since they are Florida swarms, I hope they have the stamina to tolerate cold temps! (which I guess they had to do as feral hives, too)  Any advice?  Feed, yes/no?  A blanket on top of hives?  Or just quit worrying and take it as it comes....   Seriously, I feel like the parent of a new baby.  They're all doing so great, I hate to let a stupid oversight on my part mess things up!  Thanks in advance for any and all input!! 

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Northerners, I have a NEW respect for you today!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 10:34:55 pm »
Until the temp stays below 40 for 30 days or more, relax and go to the beach.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline dfizer

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 11:20:39 pm »
Agreed!  We have highs in the mid 30's now and the bees here seem healthy and happy.  My set up is a sbb, 2 deeps and 2 inches of insulation above the inner cover with a gap for the bees to get out of the 3/4 inch hole as a top entrance.  We had a day in the mid 40's just a couple of days ago which allowed many of the bees to get out and strech their wings a little. 

I know temps are all relative but your bees should be more than fine with the temps you have now. 

Enjoy the free air conditioning!

David

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 12:03:55 am »
Maybe bottle up some of that free air conditioning for next july? 

Offline Bees In Miami

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 02:05:53 am »
Thank you all, for your replies!!  I will relax, and count on the fact that the bees mind the cold less than I do!!!   :shock:  Iddee....C'mon down, and you can borrow my beach floats...I won't need them till the water is 85* or better!!   :oops:  I'll be adding an extra blanket or two to the bed...And hope the girls manage to do the same.  Thanks again!   I did notice today they weren't bearding much, so I guess they know the cold is coming, too.  Is there a "Weatherwoman" role in the hives, too???   Is that before Pollen Jockey, or after??  :laugh:  (j/k)  Thanks again...I will try to relax. 

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 02:58:06 am »
I'm more worried about the lizards....

Offline Bees In Miami

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 04:30:02 am »
Great pic!!  If you could see a couple of the GIANTS that hang under my hives, you would be less sympathetic! to that lizard!   :shock:  As I said before, it is ALL relative!  Lizards....Snow...ants...Ice...heat....etc....  All relative, and congrats to ALL that take on this wondrous feat!!   Bees are the BEST!   

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 01:10:25 am »
Yeah, nothing to worry about.  I lived in NE Florida for nearly 25 years, and I only remember a few years where it was really cold.  750 miles north and all my friends think it's snowing in October.  Here in TN it's dropped to 27 F several times, and tonight is the coldest so far this year.  It should be about 23.

When the temps drop they'll put on a "jacket," so to speak, then go back to what they were doing before it got chilly.  I haven't seen a day here when the bees couldn't get out to evacuate, but have seen many days where they didn't want to get out.
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 06:20:41 am »
Kudos to all you Northern and frozen ones that over-winter bees year after year!!!   :cheer:  Here I am in South Florida, and pretty much stressing out over a couple nights in the low 40's.  I always say that it is all relative...I am not used to 40* temps, nor are my girls!  First time going into this kind of weather with my girls.  (They were kind to me this spring and fall!).  I HAD to do a split a couple weeks ago, so I am concerned for the NUC mostly.  And I am concerned for my other 'weak' hive (working 9 of 10 frames thus far)...both of which have SBB.  I added the mite board this afternoon as a bit of insulation.  My strong hives all have solid bottoms, so not concerned about them too much.  Anything else I should do??  I have absolutely no clue what breed I have, as all hives came from swarms.  (Though according to my State inspector a couple weeks ago, they are "text book perfect"....which I just about jumped around in celebration to hear!)  Since they are Florida swarms, I hope they have the stamina to tolerate cold temps! (which I guess they had to do as feral hives, too)  Any advice?  Feed, yes/no?  A blanket on top of hives?  Or just quit worrying and take it as it comes....   Seriously, I feel like the parent of a new baby.  They're all doing so great, I hate to let a stupid oversight on my part mess things up!  Thanks in advance for any and all input!!  

This sound like summer time temps in New England at night time.
Don't worry bee happy!!!!!!!!!!
 :lau: :lau: :lau:   

http://youtu.be/3o0ExGXfs2o

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 06:33:40 am by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 06:28:12 am »
http://www.wunderground.com/weather-forecast/US/AK/Anchorage.html

-26C / -15 F

Anchorage  22.12

Town of Fairbanks

-38.7 °C  / -38F

« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 06:43:32 am by Finski »
Language barrier NOT included

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 01:29:42 pm »
Mele Kalikimaka   Honolulu Hawaii  79F/26C

Offline Bees In Miami

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2012, 03:10:28 pm »
Thanks everybody....Indeed the girls are flying today.  In fact, it appears the split I did two weeks ago has a bunch of young bees orienting today!  X:X   Does seeing a new hive come to life ever get old?  :yippiechick:  I plan to inspect the new hive in another week or so for evidence of a queen with my fingers crossed.  Thanks again for the reassurances.   

Jim134...I grew up in Hingham...I am verrry familiar with the New England weather.  (That is exactly why I moved to Florida!)  :-D 

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2012, 05:31:47 pm »
Miami, you need to get yourself some snow bees. :-D

Had some bees out walking around about an hour ago to check out the snow.  32F and snow don’t phase them a bit.

Offline Bees In Miami

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2012, 06:29:26 pm »
BlueBee....I think they were discussing whether they could make the flight all the way to South Florida for some R&R...  :bee:   :bee:   :-D 

Cool hives...I remember your set ups from some prior posts.   :)

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2012, 06:41:55 pm »
Jim134...I grew up in Hingham...I am verrry familiar with the New England weather.  (That is exactly why I moved to Florida!)  :-D 

Bees In Miami ........
The warmer part of MA. LOL
Did you keep bees in Hingham MA??

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy

Offline Bees In Miami

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2012, 07:56:17 pm »
Jim...No bees in Hingham, though I will be headed there this Spring to set my Mom up.  She caught the bee fever when visiting me, so we'll get her set up.   ;)   Know any reliable sources around there where I may be able to find her a package or Nuc or two?   She will be attending her first local meeting next month to get to know some local beeks.   

I spent a few years in the Springfield area, too...so I empathize with the inner state weather, too.   Been in Florida 20+ years now, and sorry but no regrets! 

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2012, 09:25:05 am »
Jim...No bees in Hingham, though I will be headed there this Spring to set my Mom up.  She caught the bee fever when visiting me, so we'll get her set up.   ;)   Know any reliable sources around there where I may be able to find her a package or Nuc or two?   She will be attending her first local meeting next month to get to know some local beeks.  

I spent a few years in the Springfield area, too...so I empathize with the inner state weather, too.   Been in Florida 20+ years now, and sorry but no regrets!  

This is the 3 I have use in MA.
http://www.nebees.com/queensnucsandpackages.php

http://www.warmcolorsapiary.com/Bees.asp

http://mvabeepunchers.com/nucs.html

And I do know some of the county's in the South East past of MA do bulk orders on packages bees (May bee Plymouth County?)

http://www.plymouthcountybeekeepers.org/about-us/contact-us
You may like this all so like

http://massbee.org/

Alot of County Beekeepers Association In MA. have a facebook Pg.
Plymouth County Beekeepers' Association (on facebook)
Bristol County Beekeepers Association (on facebook)
I am the Admis of
Franklin County Beekeepers Association (FCBA) MA (on facebook)
I all so send a PM to you on Beemaster

« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 10:03:10 am by Jim 134 »
        Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Offline Bees In Miami

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2012, 05:45:54 pm »
Jim:  Thanks so much for all the links!  I pasted them in an email, so now mom can do some homework, too!   ;)  Thanks again!

anything