Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Old frames of honey partially fermented....what to do?  (Read 5790 times)

Steve W (NY)

Old frames of honey partially fermented....what to do?
« on: August 05, 2004, 11:47:43 am »
Last year I had a 3/4 full super that I didn't extract....got a little lazy. Anyway, about 2/3 of the sells are capped, the rest was watered down and half full.....naturally it fermented. Love that smell! I need to use the super again, so I'm wondering how to clean it up. I was thinking of uncapping it and either placing it near the hive, although I have heard this encourages robbing, or putting an empty super above the inner cover and placing a few frames there. What should I do?

Thanks
Steve

Offline Sting

• House Bee
Post subject: Old frames of honey partially fermented....
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2004, 11:56:37 am »
I'd extract and discard the uncapped stuff, then uncap the remaining honey and place the frames in a super over an inner cover; one with a hole obviously.  Good luck.
"Where the bee sucks, there suck I." William Shakespeare: The Tempest.

My apiary is about 17 kms. (10 miles) NW (back & left) of this web-cam view:  'See any of my girls?
http://www.parliamenthill.gc.ca/text/hillcam_e.html

Anonymous

Old frames of honey partially fermented....what to do?
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2004, 11:59:49 am »
My suggestion would be to remove the frames from the super and using a garden hose GENTLY flush out as much of the fermented honey as possible. The bees will clean up whats left if you put the frames in an empty super above the inner cover. I figure why make them work any harder than they have to in cleaning up your mess.

Offline Finman

• House Bee
Re: Old frames of honey partially fermented....what to do?
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2004, 12:40:00 pm »
Quote from: Steve W (NY)
Last year I had a 3/4 full super that I didn't extract....got a little lazy.

OK! I had that kind of supers 20 pieces two years ago. I was afraid what happens.

If it is Langstroth size, it is easy. Shower with water the fermented stuff and shake it away cells upside down and turn the frame.

Then scrape caping away and shower water on crystals. Put the frame or two between larva frames. Beet eat the honey.

It you get honey from field, do not put frames in the hive. They must work on the field and not stay home.

You can put crystallizised frames in the hive between brood and honey super. During the  first 24 hours bees suck the liguid away. Then take frames and shower water or pour on the crystals. It is a little bit laborous but it is good. After one watering bees manage with crystals.

It takes one week bees to clean upp the cells. It will manage very well.

It is not good if bees suck dry crystals and they start to carry them out as rubbish.