Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Salvaged Honey/pollen  (Read 1866 times)

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
Salvaged Honey/pollen
« on: January 01, 2009, 05:48:37 pm »
So far, only one our hives has died out this winter.  My son told me today that he did not see any bees flying out the other day when it was warm and so he looked in and saw that they had all perished.  I pulled the hive apart today so that we could learn what there was to learn, and there were very few bees bunched up in various clusters on different frames.  Some had their heads in cells with honey one cell away.  I estimate no more than one hundred bees in the whole hive.  This was a hive with low numbers going in to the winter, and I feared that this might happen. 

This situation, however, has left me with several frames of drawn comb, most at least partially full of capped honey, uncapped honey and pollen. What do I do with it? Should I wait for a warm day and put them into the other hives or can I save them and put a package on them?  Perhaps the honey and pollen would give them a head start.  If I can give it to a package, how do I store the frames until April?
Brian

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Salvaged Honey/pollen
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 09:56:17 pm »
I's put them in the freezer and use them in spring to start a split, package or swarm. 
Get whichever off to a good start.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline 1of6

• House Bee
  • Always learning...
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 10:10:25 pm »
...This situation, however, has left me with several frames of drawn comb, most at least partially full of capped honey, uncapped honey and pollen. What do I do with it? Should I wait for a warm day and put them into the other hives or can I save them and put a package on them?  Perhaps the honey and pollen would give them a head start.  If I can give it to a package, how do I store the frames until April?

A frame or a split would benefit greatly from being given these frames, but then so would one of your other colonies.  I've kept some around for re-use, and I was just able to keep them in our finished portion of our attic.  Somewhere where they're protected from moisture, heat, damage, or bugs would probably be fine.  They'll be worth a lot to you this coming year.

Don't be afraid to send a sample of your bees to beltsville for testing, but it's probably not necessary.  Double-check everything (dead bees, any brood, cappings, frames, etc.) and make sure you haven't missed anything though.

PS - freezer works too just as Brian says, of you have the room.

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 10:57:58 pm »
I apologize, but I do not know what Beltsville is.  Is there something I should be looking for? I have the freezer space and will put them in there for use with a package. 
Brian

Offline 1of6

• House Bee
  • Always learning...
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 11:26:39 pm »
http://www.ba.ars.usda.gov/psi/brl/highlights.htm

Click on the "How to submit samples" on the left.

Hope this is helpful.

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 11:45:26 pm »
What a great site.  Thanks for the advice.
Brian