Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: reduce entrance on a nuc  (Read 1265 times)

Offline tryintolearn

• House Bee
reduce entrance on a nuc
« on: July 24, 2012, 02:45:13 pm »
just now i placed a nuc next to my established hive...should i reduce the entrance?  the beekeeper i got it from didn't have one on it in his bee yard and its a full five frames of comb with nice Brood pattern and lots of bees. 

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: reduce entrance on a nuc
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 02:59:09 pm »
If they are strong then you are probably OK.   If there is a dearth and strong robbing conditions,  it is better to be proactive then try to stop robbing once it gets started.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline tryintolearn

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 03:07:11 pm »
very strong cotton flow going on now.  only 80 yards from hives...going back out in a few to see how its going...91 degrees here....lol thanks

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 03:15:07 pm »
Then just make sure they have room.  With a good flow and lots of bees, a nuc can get honey bound really quickly.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 04:38:47 pm »
Any little peice of wood will work for a reducer. I keep strips of 3/4 x 3/4 board from 2in to 12in long around my hives all the time if I see I need to reduce an entrance for whatever reason I put a peice in of what I think may be the right length. If they get crowded looking at the entrance and no robbers around take it out and put in a shorter one. But I always keep the opening on the same side.

Offline tryintolearn

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 10:13:28 am »
havent closed it up yet and this morning everything looks normal no robbing...thanks guys

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 11:27:46 am »
In 3 frame nucs I use 2x2 cm entrance. (insulated hivebox). It works in 30C day temperature well.
in 5-frame nuc 3x2 cm is good. It they hav emuch ventilators then add entrance.

it is simple to look how they need ventilation.
Language barrier NOT included