Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: bacillus thuringiensis  (Read 3434 times)

Offline Kimbrell

• House Bee
bacillus thuringiensis
« on: October 19, 2010, 01:23:15 am »
I am having prolems with a wax moth infestation in some stored supers.  I read here of using bacillus thuringiensis sold under several different names.  I have been able to find a product called Thuricide in my area.  The label lists "bacillus thuringiensis subspecies kurstaki strain, SA-12 solids, spores, and Lepidopteran active toxins" as 15% of the total volume.  It lists "other ingredients" as 85% of the total volume.
1.  Is this the same product as has been described here sold under the name Certan and XenTari?
2.  What are the "other ingredients"?
  Has anyone here used this product before?  I have a lot of work ahead of me cleaning up the wax moth mess and replacing all the foundation.  I want to be really sure this is the right product before I use it.  Thanks for your help... :?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: bacillus thuringiensis
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 01:43:24 am »
>1.  Is this the same product as has been described here sold under the name Certan and XenTari?

Sounds like it.  If it's effective against "Lepidoteran" it should work on wax moths.

>2.  What are the "other ingredients"?

Usually it contains some toxins as produced by the bacteria, some spores and some of the medium used to raise the bacteria.

>  Has anyone here used this product before? 

Not that particular version.  I have used the Certan and the Xen Tari in the past, but just rely on the cold and the bees to take care of things now... they worked well.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Kimbrell

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 01:51:47 am »
Thanks for your reply.  After cleaning up the mess I will probably just do what you said and let the cold weather take care of it.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 06:18:03 pm »
One product with a very specific target is CertanĀ®, formulated from Bacillus thuringiensis var. aizawai, and used exclusively for the control of wax moth larvae in honeybee hives.   Copied from http://miami-dade.ifas.ufl.edu/pdfs/fyn/bt.pdf