Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Too late to trap out?  (Read 29741 times)

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Re: Too late to trap out?
« Reply #140 on: January 16, 2012, 07:12:08 am »
The first trap box is still hanging on, just. The hive has a few drone layers in it which is making things difficult. I added a frame of eggs a while ago but the produced queens were destroyed.  I know it was bound to fail but I even added a new queen but they removed her.
I added another frame of eggs just the other day so we'll see how it goes this time.

Could you try a shake out?

Offline Johnny253

• House Bee
« Reply #141 on: January 16, 2012, 08:27:02 am »
Do you use hive mats on top of your frames? I haven't seen any in your videos. A piece of offcut lino or plastic sheet place on top of the frames will prevent bees from building above the frames. It doesn't have to cover the frames entirely but this should help.

Nice videos and thanks for sharing your experience.

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #142 on: January 17, 2012, 08:42:21 am »
The first trap box is still hanging on, just. The hive has a few drone layers in it which is making things difficult. I added a frame of eggs a while ago but the produced queens were destroyed.  I know it was bound to fail but I even added a new queen but they removed her.
I added another frame of eggs just the other day so we'll see how it goes this time.

Could you try a shake out?
Yeah thats the first thing I did when I found no queen and the drone layer. Either the layer went back in, or another took over. But I did shake them out twice with the same result.
Shane

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #143 on: January 17, 2012, 08:46:12 am »
Do you use hive mats on top of your frames? I haven't seen any in your videos. A piece of offcut lino or plastic sheet place on top of the frames will prevent bees from building above the frames. It doesn't have to cover the frames entirely but this should help.

Nice videos and thanks for sharing your experience.

No I don't use an inner lid or mat. I imagine this would just give another place for beetles to hide. I'm not sure I want to stop them building under the lid anyway? To me it seems like a good way to tell that they want more room. I add a super and they stop building under the lid.
Shane

Offline marktrl

• House Bee
« Reply #144 on: January 17, 2012, 02:23:01 pm »
What I did when I had a laying worker, was to feed them heavy so they back fill the brood frames so there is no room for the worker to lay , and then put a frame of open brood in once a week for 3 weeks then introduce a new queen.

anything