Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Talking to bees  (Read 9091 times)

Offline Janemma

• House Bee
Talking to bees
« on: March 30, 2008, 10:54:34 pm »
This is probably slighty off topic, but I promised my Mom I'd ask anyway.  I'm just getting in to beekeeping this year.  Beekeeping has been in my family for generations - I haven't personally had any involvement though.  My Mom has though as a child.  She remembers her Uncle telling the bees when some died.  and being told that that dated back to Medieval times (?)

I've done a little research and found some traditions dating back to Greek times - some poetry from the 1800's and a few quotes from the 1600's......

Are any of these old traditions still practiced?  Do people still believe in talking to the bees?  Do people still turn hives when someone dies?  drape cloths?  Talk to the bees?  I don't imagine big business beekeepers do......but hobbyists?

I can quite see myself talking to my bees anyway but my Mom has made me promise to tell my bees when someone dies..not just a beekeeper but anyone.  But then I'm quite often found talking to myself anyway ;) 

(edited to add I wasn't quite sure what section to post this in)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Talking to bees
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 12:35:12 am »
I tried talking to them 'til I was blue in the face, they ignored me. I grew upset with them and screamed at them, they ignored me, I tried singing, they liked that, that is what I do now. I sing to them. My wife thought I was nuts before the singing.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 01:13:46 am »
It never hurts to talk to the bees.  In older times the practice of telling the bees their master was dead was one way in which the family members dealt with losing a loved one.  I gave them a structure and temporary purpose at a critical time.

As another whose family tree traces its beekeeping roots back to the old world, welcome to a great avocation.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 08:15:26 am »
It is an old tradition to inform the bees when their owner dies to prevent them from leaving.  Try a search on beesource I'm sure there were some extensive quotes on the matter.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 08:19:35 am »
Hey. I not only talk to them, I have my hives named, all girl names naturally.
I Have, Amie, Bessie, Carol, Donna, & Effie.there names are painted on the bottom boards.

That way when I tell my wife, " Bessie was hot today, or Carol needed Syrup " she knows which one's I'm talking about.

Silly I know, but I'm an old man, and I'll do what I like !

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline dlmarti

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 09:01:25 am »
Yeah, I "talk" to them when I get stung  :)

Offline beekeeperookie

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 10:26:04 am »
I would talk to mine, but then the neighbors would think I am nuts.  I would believe there are some bee whispers out there.   :-D

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 10:40:27 am »
I would talk to mine, but then the neighbors would think I am nuts.  I would believe there are some bee whispers out there.   :-D

They probably think you're a little nuts already, for keeping them in the first place. So talk away, and do it with pride & your chin up!  :-D

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 11:40:19 am »

:lol: Thanks, I just spit coffee on my keyboard.......... and I'm at work.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 05:47:17 pm »
I always talk to them in a soothing voice as I am working on them. They seem to like it. Well anyway, I like it.

Annette

Offline Jingles

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 06:59:17 pm »
I talk calmly to mine, too. I tell them what I"m doing, what I"m about to do, stuff like that. Definitely helps me feel better. There are still a few bees who get annoyed at me.......and let me know in no uncertain terms!

Love, Marla

Offline bberry

• House Bee
  • Playing with wool is good for your soul
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 08:45:39 pm »
I took a beginning beekeepers class when i first got my hives and the instructor told me that the bees could not hear, they felt vibration and so on. I talk, sing, b and moan and it always bothers me a little when the thought comes into my mind that they can't hear me-and i dont even know if he was right! Anyway, if they do only pick up vibrations then my singing and talking to them should create some good vibes (and if the neighbors see-then good vibes to them too :-D) As for telling the bees when someone has died-i have heard that as well-I can see why as i always sit out with my bees when the blues or stress hits.

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 08:53:26 pm »
No bees till the 12th but I talk to everything else around here so no reason to think I won't talk to them too!  Each cat knows it's name, come're & see, go outside? Get the BUG!!  When the dog could hear she knew a bunch of different things, now I'm teaching her to come when I stomp the floor 2x...so far she runs barking to the door.... :roll:**sigh**  Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2008, 12:08:51 am »

Watch your vocabulary, even I get annoyed when 4 letter words are directed my way.  BTW my last name is a 4 letter word. 
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline tig

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2008, 08:49:09 pm »
i talk to my bees a lot.  imagine the secrets they share with me.  they seem to like music [NOT ACID ROCK]...mostly instrumentals...but maybe its because music calms me down and my temperament affects them. of course once i start cussing and swearing, they show their appreciation by stinging the hell out of me LOL.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2008, 10:31:34 am »
I do not talk to my bees. Here is why.

If a hive goes hot on you they are looking for a carbon dioxide source. You yapping it up with your bees gives them a target. I did a hive inspection for another member of our association and she would not shut up. It made me real nervous because if something went wrong she was going down.

When I am in my hive I try to control my breathing along with my movements. I can go into my hives usually without wearing a bee suit.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2008, 12:55:03 pm »
Good point!!

Offline beeginner

• House Bee
  • The swarm I hived
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2008, 04:06:47 pm »
I sweet talk my gurls all the time! and it seams to work!     

The other day some one said HEY THERES THE PIMP  I was like wut the!!!!   I Hear you own a few girls! Yes!!  OH Wate a min your talking about my beehives  LOL 

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2008, 11:36:53 pm »
All my girls got sweet breath.

...JP

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2008, 12:17:34 am »
Yep,...I talk to them too..Cant hurt anything, I suppose :)
 But Then again,....I talk to my trees too!....And I talk to the birds, ants, frogs, snakes, turtles...My fish....
I have a special language for mowers, weedeaters, tillers, and chainsaws..Especially when they dont work! :-x
your friend,
john

anything