Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New guy from the "other" board  (Read 9055 times)

Offline ikeepbees

• New Bee
New guy from the "other" board
« on: November 05, 2008, 03:14:05 pm »
Hello everyone,

I'm not sure that I'd have found this board without the recent disturbance on the "other" board - suffice it to say that I'm glad to have found this discussion forum.

I live in the Mobile, AL area and have been keeping bees for about 9 years now (I can't remember exactly which year was my first, but that's my best guess.)

My favorite area of learning within the world of beekeeping is swarming and swarm prevention. I have been working with Walt Wright for about 5 years on his "Nectar Management" techniques and am very excited about the results I have enjoyed in my operation. Walt is a great guy to be around and know, as well, and I'm proud to call him a good friend.

Other beekeeping interests: I am intrigued by the small cell information available from Michael Bush and Dennis Murrell. Their observations regarding natural size cells are especially interesting to me. The work being done by many breeders to produce a bee that has the genetic ability to better cope with mites and disease is also of great interest.

I am disappointed, though, that many are so quick to dismiss much of this information as blatantly false without trying it in their own operation. I'm afraid that we won't expand our knowledge base if we are not able to tolerate discussion on new methods and ideas. I would hope that we would welcome new ideas for discussion and experimentation without demanding scientific proof for every experience we bring to the table. At first glance this forum looks like one that tolerates this kind of "out of the box" thinking, and I look forward to being here.
Rob Koss

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: New guy from the "other" board
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 03:43:27 pm »
Welcome Rob,  nice to have you aboard.

I am disappointed, though, that many are so quick to dismiss much of this information as blatantly false without trying it in their own operation. I'm afraid that we won't expand our knowledge base if we are not able to tolerate discussion on new methods and ideas. I would hope that we would welcome new ideas for discussion and experimentation without demanding scientific proof for every experience we bring to the table. At first glance this forum looks like one that tolerates this kind of "out of the box" thinking, and I look forward to being here.

Yes, we do have a pretty decent bunch of folks here and even if we disagree,  we can still respect each other.   It is a two-way street though,  just like in politics there are fanatics on each side.   We have lost a few good members because they where tired of the constant beating of "small cell is the answer" to everything.  We do have quite a few members interested and involved in natural cell,  we also have a fair share that are content with traditional beekeeping methods and don't care to delve into small cell, so it won't be the answer for them when they have questions.

rob...
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 03:47:48 pm »
Rob,
And a mighty welcome to you!

I'll hold off on any comments about smallcell, Walt, or other "crazy" ideas you have.  :-D  Plenty of time to catch up on that stuff.  ;)

Out of the box??? They have me on here, and so far, so good! Now that's out of the box!

The conversations here are well worth it. I have been doing my part to post all I can to add to the site and discussions. Hope to exchange good knowledge with you again, and often.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 04:00:43 pm »

Out of the box??? They have me on here, and so far, so good! Now that's out of the box!

Out of the box?   We can't get you off the box ;)
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 07:32:09 pm »

Out of the box?   We can't get you off the box ;)

Its a really big box....enough for everyone!  :-D

And it's going to be a looooooong winter!  :shock:
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 07:44:10 pm »
Welcome Rob.

I read almost every post and reply occasionally. I learn a lot and really appreciate how the "Beekeeping Gods" tolerate us mortals and our sometimes repetitive questions. This is a great forum and I look forward to learning from your experience. We have picked up some really experience beeks lately. (on the forum)

Welcome again, Steve

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 10:49:48 pm »
welcome to the group Rob!!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 11:13:23 pm »
Rob, welcome to our forum, that is so nice you have found us.  You are up to some pretty interesting stuff, I can see that.  I can be my bottom dollar that you are gonna a whole whack of tales, stories and experiences that you can bring on here.  We are a very friendly and great group of people, that you shall soon see.  Again, welcome, stick around and enjoy your stay with us.  Have the most wonderful and awesome day and life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline ikeepbees

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 11:09:46 am »
Thanks to Robo, BjornBee, asprince, 1reb, Cindi, for the welcoming words.
Rob Koss

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline 1of6

• House Bee
  • Always learning...
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 05:24:03 pm »
Welcome Rob.

Yeah, they don't get as mad over here when we talk about natural cell, foundationless, MountainCamp Method (it's like I can still hear the sound of bacon sizzling), yadda yadda yadda.  Folks here are friendly and very open-minded.

I'm sure you'll run into a lot of familiar faces.  Good to see you over here, and enjoy the spell checker!

Offline ikeepbees

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 03:53:40 am »
Thanks, 1of6.
Rob Koss

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008, 06:34:08 am »
spell checker?

Is there one on the page when you hit reply? I do not see it.

Thank you.

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2008, 09:39:45 am »

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2008, 10:16:59 pm »
Thanks Robo.
I looked several times at all the stuff on the TOP of the page, but ignored the bottom.  :)
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2008, 10:39:11 pm »
 Spell check???
 I just thought that some people did'nt speak English. Thats all!
 Hey 1of6..As for me, I dont know anything about small cell, or queen rearing, or foundationless...So far, I'm pretty content with seeing my bees alive and buzzing around and visiting me on my deck! And also , for me,its a really big bonus when i look in the hive and see comb thats built the way its supposed to be :)
 But, one day, I'm liable to wake up one morning, and say to myself,.."Hey, I think I'm gonna go out there and raise some queens!"...Then I'll just dive right in, go buy the stuff and get started...Kinda like i did with my first two packages last spring(not the one we had just this year, but the one before that).......Maaannnn,...The years are sure goin' by fast!
your friend,
john

Offline Cacklewack

• New Bee
    • Bee Thinking
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2008, 03:31:00 am »
Welcome Rob!

I, too, am glad that this forum is open to alternative beekeeping ideas that many of the other forums I've been a part of are less inclined to endure. The bee community certainly needs to step foot into the 21st century!

Cheers,

Matt

Offline mathispollenators

• House Bee
    • Mathis Apiaries
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2008, 07:29:09 am »
Hi I believe I know that other board.  I'm rather new here too welcome you. Lets learn from each other rather than argue right or wrong.  Nice to see you and I havn't saw that yet here.
Without Thomas Edison & Alexander Graham Bell we wouldn't have the graveyard shift or Telemarketers.  So how do you like them now?

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2008, 11:08:48 am »
Spell check???
 I just thought that some people did'nt speak English. Thats all!

John, that would be translate, which is also available at the bottom  :-P

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2008, 07:12:26 pm »
繁體中文版

谢谢這個地方。 您的朋友,約翰    :-D

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2008, 07:14:06 pm »
 Thats Chinese up there^ if anybody wants to translate it!

your friend,
john