Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey & Colors  (Read 2800 times)

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
Honey & Colors
« on: December 05, 2005, 12:19:07 am »
Have just taken off the 1st. lot of honey for the season & after about a week looks like candying already. Any advice on how to prevent this happening?. Just the same it was "finger lickin good" cleaning up the tools.
           I did read somewhere that blue was not a good color to be wearing when working with the bees. After an inspection of the hives today the blue band on my gloves had 6 or 7 stings &  sacs still stuck there.
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
Honey & Colors
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 08:21:48 am »
I wear blue all the time and never had a problem.  Not with any color for that matter.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Honey & Colors
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 08:31:47 am »
Bees are less iritated by light colors than dark colors.  Blue jeans are dark, unless they've faded.   :)  I wear them all the time working the bees, but white would be smarter.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Chad S

• House Bee
Honey & Colors
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 01:03:56 pm »
By "Candying" I take it to mean that the honey is crystalizing?  I have honey from July that shows no sign of crystalizing.  I make sure all of the extracting equipment is clean and dry when I start.  I also make sure the frames are nearly 100% capped.  I store the extracted honey in a dry place for 2-3 days to settle out  before bottling.  Bottles are clean, and stored in a closet in the house.  My honey partners honey went off with in a month.  Her frames were not as well capped, and she stored the honey for a few weeks in a garage before bottling.

Chad

Offline Dick Allen

• House Bee
Honey & Colors
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 02:58:33 pm »
After an inspection of the hives today the blue band on my gloves had 6 or 7 stings & sacs still stuck there.

On BeeL some years back was a discussion about writst watches and bee stings. Many who wrote in said they experienced more stings in the area around their wrist watches.  My first reaction after reading that was "Now come on!!! What nonsense!!!"  Later after I started paying attention, in my case at least, it did seem that I was stung more often around my watch. I now take it off when examining a hive.  

Maybe, the blue band on your gloves contrasted with your other clothing and the bees were drawn to that.

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Honey & Colors
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2005, 04:16:48 pm »
I use old shirts in my nursing. When I have used light blue shirt bees give really stings. When I change it to white, no stings.

anything