Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Adding Supers???????????  (Read 2558 times)

Offline Lechwe

• House Bee
Adding Supers???????????
« on: July 06, 2005, 10:07:03 am »
I have a couple questions about adding supers. I have some already drawn and some with only foundation. Can you put on more than one super that is only foundation without causing problems? Can I put on one super of drawn and one of undrawn foundation? Just curious what everyone does.

Thanks

Offline Miss Chick-a-BEE

• House Bee
Adding Supers???????????
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 11:09:07 am »
My understanding is that if you put more than one super of foundation only frames, the bees will work the middles of all boxes (or atleast two of them & leave the others alone). I wouldn't recommend it. If you have supers with finished foundation, and some with unfinished, I'd put the finished above the unfinished. But only one box of unfinished at a time, till they get about 7 of 10 frames done.

Beth

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
Adding Supers???????????
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2005, 04:13:38 pm »
George Imrie says only one box of foundation.  If you have drawn comb, pile them on.  I would add, don't put the foundation on if they don't need it or won't use it.  (a summer dearth)  They tend to gnaw on it, it gets wavey  from the heat, etc.

Offline TAH

• New Bee
Adding Supers???????????
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2005, 06:22:34 pm »
I actually did just this about 6 weeks ago. I didn't know any better and only had some new supers to put on when I took off two full ones. The bees started on the north side of both supers and are drawing out the lower one much faster. It looks like it will turn out ok.

Offline Phoenix

• House Bee
    • http://www.cafepress.com/beeholder
Adding Supers???????????
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2005, 10:07:25 am »
The problem with adding more than one super with foundation, is the fact that it will get worked haphazardously, and depending on the flow some of that foundation may not get worked at all.

Giving the colony one box at a time keeps them focused on a smaller area and they will be more apt to fill it more uniformly and completely.

On a strong colony supers of drawn comb can be installed more than one at a time, and is often suggested for a predicted heavy flow, especially if the hive can't be monitored closely.  We do this often, as some of the yards can't be checked on a weekly basis.