Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mouth Aspirator for Hive Beetles or mites if you can see them  (Read 6529 times)

Offline John Jones

• New Bee
  • Know how Bees feel
I visited the Bee Lab at the University of Georgia and one of the BEE PHD students was using a mouth aspirator on one of the hives.  In about 30 minutes he sucked up every beetle we could find which was quite a few.  I was extremely impressed.  No chemicals, instant results, etc.  He did not miss a single beetle and the mouth aspirator is totally controllable. 

See what a mouth aspirator looks like or order one for yourself.  gemplers.com/product/301053/Mouth-Operated-Aspirator.  Go to the Gemplers web site and search on aspirator.

as info,

John Jones

John Jones
Stone Mountain, Georgia

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
Re: Mouth Aspirator for Hive Beetles or mites if you can see them
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 11:28:31 pm »
I've ordered one of these (anything to combat these critters) but I often have a hard time smashing the beetles because the bees get in the way so I'll be curious to see if I can suck them up any better than I can smash them!!!  :roll: :roll:

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 05:35:46 pm »
Resurecting an old thread I know but I thought it worthwhile

They (mouth aspirators) should be easy enough to make for next to nix and if they work as well as indicated they would be great for moving the shb out of the hive and those hard to get at hiding places quickly

Mick

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 06:22:25 pm »
that looks like it would work really well.

just don't let the cops find it in your truck or they will swear you are smoking crack :-D

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!