Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: starter strips ?  (Read 12836 times)

Offline doak

• Super Bee
Re: starter strips ?
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2009, 12:02:00 am »
That is why I prefer wedge top bars.
I'll "when I start" just take the wedge out, cut foundation in one inch strips and install the same way I do full foundation. What's wrong with this method? or did I miss something? :)doak

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2009, 06:54:00 am »
along these lines - if you do a wax (suggestion) strip - will the bees convert to the smallest cell as they go?

Not sure what you mean by smallest cell,  but regardless what you use for a guide they will build the size cells they see fit.   They do not take whatever we give them and just duplicate it for the whole frame.   The cells on the starter strip will be drawn out to whatever size is on the foundation, but once they start building down from the strip, they will adjust the cell size to their need.  If they are large cell bees, they won't go right to ~4.9 but will do an intermediate size as they regress.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2009, 08:42:24 pm »
>along these lines - if you do a wax (suggestion) strip - will the bees convert to the smallest cell as they go?

It matters not whether you use wax or wood or whatever they will build the size cells they want.

>- no idea what (cell) size suggestion sheet I put up for them but just wondering if they will default to their preferred size after

You mean the rest of the comb?  Yes, they will adjust the size to what they want after they build the strip.

>That is why I prefer wedge top bars.
I'll "when I start" just take the wedge out, cut foundation in one inch strips and install the same way I do full foundation. What's wrong with this method?

Nothing except that the wax is more fragile and more likely to fall out and needs to be replaced when the comb is being replaced.  If you turned the wedge sideways and glued it in you'd never have to mess with it again.  :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Eshu

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2009, 03:20:18 pm »
Do the starter strips need to run the full length of the top bar I planed on useing paint sticks and there about 4 in short

They don't need to span the entire width, but I do.  I use paint stir sticks split in half lengthwise with another third of a stick to span the entire frame.  I score the sticks lengthwise using a utility knife and a metal ruler.  If you use a sharp knife they break cleanly.  It is somewhat tedious, but I don't do a lot.

anything