Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: starter strips ?  (Read 12835 times)

Offline Ronnd

• New Bee
starter strips ?
« on: March 02, 2009, 09:48:10 pm »
Do the starter strips need to run the full length of the top bar I planed on useing paint sticks and there about 4 in short

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: starter strips ?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 02:41:33 am »
It is best to run the starter strips from end bar to end bar as a gap will be carried over into the comb being drawn and result in a delay of the fcomb being attached to the end bars of the cmob, if ever,  Sometime they'll go back and tidy it up, but usually not until the 2nd year.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline suprstakr

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 11:02:03 am »
I use waxed popsicle sticks , and leave the gap even on both ends not the center . Make sure you brad nail the paint sticks to secure them . I learned the hard way .
Of course your cutting the widh down of the paint stirers ?

Waxed--- melt wax dip stick in ..

Offline Ronnd

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 12:44:43 pm »
I was not going to cut the width down is 1 in wide to much and I was going to leave them bare wood is waxing needed

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 01:59:53 pm »
suprstakr

Are you saying you used the wax to hold the strip in the bar??   or you just coated it with wax to make it attractive?  other threads have talked about gluing the strips in--that seems to work.  i have also read here, that coating with wax might lead to the combing falling off because the melted on wax does not adhere as well as what the bees do.  I am starting these for the first time myself. 
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich."  SpongeBob Squarepants

Offline suprstakr

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 02:14:28 pm »
Coat with wax to give them direction of building comb . I use 1 brad per stick to keep them in place.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 09:33:24 pm »
I prefer not to wax them.  The wax you put on won't be attached as well as the bees will attach it.  Also, it's not necessary and I'm lazy.  :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Ronnd

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 10:05:30 pm »
Thanks everyone for the info

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 07:01:31 am »
Just to clarify, the wood guides are necessary, just the wax on them is not.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 11:02:56 am »
So, because im not getting what a "starter strip" looks like other than a popcicle stick can someone expalin? If I'm thinking right the popcicle stick is pointing down towards the bottom of the hive attached in the middle of the frame? Does every frame have to have them? Actually Ill post if anyone has a picture in the photo section "Whatit should look like." Sorry if the questions seem dumb but Im ordering a new hive and I want it all to be foundationless, body and supers.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 06:21:54 pm »
The strip, whether wood or wax, runs horizontally the length of the top bar.  The simplest is to break out the wedge and turn it sideways and nail it back in.  You can also put popscicle sticks in the groove, etc.
-------------------

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 06:52:47 pm »
So, because im not getting what a "starter strip" looks like other than a popcicle stick can someone expalin? If I'm thinking right the popcicle stick is pointing down towards the bottom of the hive attached in the middle of the frame? Does every frame have to have them? Actually Ill post if anyone has a picture in the photo section "Whatit should look like." Sorry if the questions seem dumb but Im ordering a new hive and I want it all to be foundationless, body and supers.

I make starter strips from plasticell and brad them in like this

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 11:34:12 pm »
Thanks, I think I got it know :shock:. I need to get the hive ordered soon because my new bees, which will be my third one, will be here the end of April.

Offline PeskySquirrel

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 01:48:13 pm »
If putting starter strip frames between existing frames of "pulled out" comb (to rotate old comb out or ease congestion--per Micheal Bush's suggestion), do the "pulled out" frames need to be capped brood (or honey) to prevent the bees from simply pulling out the existing frames further (before beginning work on the starter strips)? Or does it not really matter? Thanks.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 01:53:30 pm »
It matters a lot.   Either put them on the brood area or between capped honey.   Even in the brood area you will sometimes still get them overdrawing the top of the drawn frames where they store honey.   Put them between empty comb in a super and you'll end up with a real mess.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2009, 01:59:02 pm »
i second what robo said.  i made that mistake once!  never again.  also, with the package you  may want to put a full sheet or two in your 1st super as a guide.  i dumped a swarm in with just starter strips last year and they made a mess of things. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2009, 02:18:48 pm »
It matters a lot.   Either put them on the brood area or between capped honey.   Even in the brood area you will sometimes still get them overdrawing the top of the drawn frames where they store honey.   Put them between empty comb in a super and you'll end up with a real mess.

I've tried that too...I have never seen such thick honeycomb before  :-D
Rick

Offline Paraplegic Racehorse

• House Bee
  • Kilted beekeepers unite!
    • Me Blog
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2009, 07:51:14 pm »
being both short of drawn comb (full frames) and wanting to be a little lazy about my starter strips (don't want to melt and then form the wax sheets), this year's plan is to sacrifice several full frames of drawn comb in order to get about one inch of fully formed "starter strip" to line several frames and/or top-bars. It should be pretty easy to melt-and-attach. The bees will hopefully complete the attachment process before they build it too heavy. (fingers crossed)

Has anyone used this method with good results? How about lousy results?
I'm Paraplegic Racehorse.
Member in good standing: International Discordance of Kilted Apiarists, Local #994

The World Beehive Project - I endeavor to build at least one of every beehive in common use today and document the entire process.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2009, 09:54:22 pm »
>Has anyone used this method with good results? How about lousy results?

It was a common method back in L.L. Langstroths day.  Huber's hive has holes for pegs to hold it up until it was attached.  You might find this section about doing queens by turning it sideways useful for your purposes:

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesbetterqueens.htm#Preparing%20the%20Cells
-------------------

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2009, 09:54:50 pm »
along these lines - if you do a wax (suggestion) strip - will the bees convert to the smallest cell as they go?
- no idea what (cell) size suggestion sheet I put up for them but just wondering if they will default to their preferred size after
be happy and make others happy.