Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Red Clover  (Read 8419 times)

Offline Hopeful

• House Bee
Red Clover
« on: December 23, 2007, 02:05:22 pm »
Hi all,
  The man who wishes to keep my bees on his organic farm told me yesterday that he is going to plant 5-10 acres of red clover at the request of another farmer. I know that yellow and whiote clover are cnsidered "the bee's knees" for pasture, but what about red clover? Good, bad or indifferent? Also, how many hives can be supported by 5 or 10 acres of red clover?
"And this is life eternal...." "John 17:3

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Red Clover
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 03:27:24 pm »
mine didn't go for it.  the bumble bees loves it. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 04:31:26 pm »
Honey bees usually don't get anything off of Red Clover.  Red has very deep flowers that the honey bees can only rarely reach if they get really full or some insect chews out the bottom of the flower so the honey bees can get in.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 09:08:09 pm »
bee's cant work red clover, now just because the color is red doesn't mean bee's cant work it, crimson clover can be work good by bee's, red clover isn't really red, its purple, its about the only clover bee's cant work, heres a picture of red clover..

THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 10:36:33 am »
Hopeful, I know the answers to your queery must be disappointing, but the truth must be told.  The red clover is indeed great for the bumblebees.  Honeybees have a significantly shorter tongue than the bombus and that is why they do not attend to nectar gathering from the red clover, the nectaries are too deeply set within the flower head.  The short and long of it, but your neighbour will have lots of bumblebees for sure.  Sorry to burst that bubble.  Have a wonderful and great day.  Cindi

Could you encourage your neighbour to grow something different, hee, hee  :( ;) :)
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Hopeful

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 11:01:05 am »
>>>>>Could you encourage your neighbour to grow something different, hee, hee    <<<<<

I'm a gonna try. :)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 12:55:00 pm »
Hopeful, any idea why the other farmer requested red clover? If you can figure this out perhaps there lies your reason to persuade the farmer not to plant it.

Sincerely, JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2007, 03:02:23 pm »
TwT, i have some crimson clover and they don't seem to like it much either.  the only clover i see them on is the white.  i would plant more of the crimson if i saw them on it.  it's very pretty.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2007, 04:14:12 pm »
TwT, i have some crimson clover and they don't seem to like it much either.  the only clover i see them on is the white.  i would plant more of the crimson if i saw them on it.  it's very pretty.

if you were judging by this past year I would agree they didn't work it much, it was so dry the clover didn't produce much nectar, I plant on average 7 acres a year of crimson, every year but this past year I have gotten good results but this past was to dry, I usually buy 100 pounds of seed......, its cheap compared to white Dutch, yuchee yellow leaf, Ladino Clover, ect.. I get it $54 for 50 pounds.....
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 06:07:49 pm by TwT »
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Hopeful

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2007, 06:10:31 pm »
Crimson Clover? Why does Tommy James come to mind?

Yeah...
           La La
                      La la
                               La la  :)

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2007, 07:24:00 pm »
mind altering substance of choice and head stuck between the stereo speakers.......just something i heard about.......

as for the clover, i will try planting some more.  if nothing else, i will have a pretty pasture.  :-)

Offline Hopeful

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2007, 12:18:56 am »
Kathy,
I like your new signature line. Even better than the Dune line (because it is real). What's next, Churchill?

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2007, 11:20:51 am »
old teddy is one of my favorites.  he'd be thrown in jail or worse in these days.

i don't know if i have done a Churchill yet.  also one of my favorites.  i have had some other fiction stuff.  Wheel of Time, LOTR, etc.  just depends on how tired i get of the one that is up....and my mood  :-)

Offline Burl

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2007, 12:37:22 pm »
Hey , I know this is slightly off topic  , but  does anyone have experience with ALSIKE CLOVER ?   We sure seem to have a lot of that in this area .  I've heard that it causes some problems for horses when they eat it  , but how is it for honeybee forage ?           ---Burl---
Of all the things I've ever been called ;
I do like "Dad" the most .   ---Burl---

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2007, 06:06:06 pm »
I heard the same about the clovers, crimson, yellow, and dutch white,  so we are going to try some here in SE Colorado. Here is a web page I found for clover seed and they talk a little about the clover. http://www.outsidepride.com/store/catalog/Clover-Seed-p-1-c-314.html

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2007, 09:58:01 pm »
>does anyone have experience with ALSIKE CLOVER ?

Good for bees.  Bad for horses.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline bens

• New Bee
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 11:00:20 pm »
I have 6 acres planted in red clover/alfalfa,  I have the hay harvested 2-3 times per year, and use it to feed a few steer and a small horse.  I would like to plant a hay crop that my bee's can use also.  I'm not a farmer just a city boy learning and playing hobby farmer.  I read that white clover can't be used for hay, grows too short.  Any recommendations?

anything