Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Too late in season to let them make a queen?  (Read 6037 times)

Offline contactme_11

• House Bee
Too late in season to let them make a queen?
« on: July 30, 2009, 04:36:25 pm »
It is almost the start of august. Is it too late in the year to risk letting a hive start making a new queen on their own? I'm talking about a hive that has plenty of stores but no visible eggs or brood, So I'll have to give them a frame to work.

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
Re: Too late in season to let them make a queen?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 08:25:17 pm »
I hope not! My hive just swarmed, and I am going to let the queen cells hatch. Here in Ohio, we still have a lot of bloom time left for the bees to build up their winter stores. I'm hoping the new queen will get busy right away! May have to feed them a bit heavier come fall if they are lagging behind. Best of luck to you!
Alan

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 09:38:43 pm »
It is almost the start of august. Is it too late in the year to risk letting a hive start making a new queen on their own? I'm talking about a hive that has plenty of stores but no visible eggs or brood, So I'll have to give them a frame to work.

If you have no eggs or brood you better let them build one. No eggs and brood means they are queenless and you will lose the whole hive soon. No it's never to late.
Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 10:07:04 pm »
It takes about a month to raise a queen and have her start laying.  There needs to be drones available for her to mate with (which shouldn't be a problem).  But you also have to have enough time for her to lay and raise winter bees, so depending on the weather, you may be cutting it close.   I'm not a proponent of emergency queens to begin with,  but with all the rain we have been having here in the Northeast,  I have seen a higher rate than normal of queens not returning from mating flights.  So there is the possibility you will still be queenless in September.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline contactme_11

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 11:03:41 pm »
If you have no eggs or brood you better let them build one.
or buy one
No eggs and brood means they are queenless
duh
and you will lose the whole hive soon.
or you are doing 2 huge trapouts that are yielding way more bees and stores than you planed and you just need a lot of queens.
No it's never to late.
Sometimes it is.  Beekeeping is very different in different areas of the country. That's why I asked. People shouldn't comment about things they don't know about.

Offline WOB419

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 11:42:15 pm »
or buy one
duh
or you are doing 2 huge trapouts that are yielding way more bees and stores than you planed and you just need a lot of queens.
No it's never to late.
Sometimes it is.  Beekeeping is very different in different areas of the country. That's why I asked. People shouldn't comment about things they don't know about.

Wow Contactme_11, I'm glad I did not offer you any advice.  I suspect that Joelel will keep his posts to himself from now on since I haven't seen a good scolding like that since about 3rd grade.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 12:14:14 am »
you'll get lots of advice to a question.  you are free to take it or not.  of course, if you are going to slam people who give you the wrong advice, or advice that does not fit your needs....you might end up with none.

joelel may have a lot to learn, but he is participating and that is part of learning.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 12:49:04 am »
or buy one
duh
No it's never to late.

Ignor list
Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 12:54:56 am »
or buy one
duh
No it's never to late.

Wow Contactme_11, I'm glad I did not offer you any advice.  I suspect that Joelel will keep his posts to himself from now on since I haven't seen a good scolding like that since about 3rd grade.

The thing is he never said anything about buying one. OH well ignor list.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 06:54:02 am »
OK everyone take a deep breathe now.

Yes it is important for people to give advice.  But it is also dangerous for someone with little experience to give wrong advice.  There are many new beekeepers on here,  and it is important for them to participate so it isn't the same people having to answer the same questions over and over.   But if you have no personal experience with the methods you suggest,  it is also key that you add a disclaimer to warn the requester.  Something like,  "I've never done it this way, but here is why I think it would work"  or "I'm a new beekeeper, but from what I have learned I think...."

Just giving broad motherhood statements, that are flat out wrong, with no justification is not being helpful.   It is easy to make such statements when your bees are not at risk. But if you got burned by someones wrong advice, you would not be very happy. 

So let's make our knowledge level clear when commenting on things we have no personal experience with.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 07:36:58 am »
It takes about a month to raise a queen and have her start laying.  There needs to be drones available for her to mate with (which shouldn't be a problem).  But you also have to have enough time for her to lay and raise winter bees, so depending on the weather, you may be cutting it close.   I'm not a proponent of emergency queens to begin with,  but with all the rain we have been having here in the Northeast,  I have seen a higher rate than normal of queens not returning from mating flights.  So there is the possibility you will still be queenless in September.

contactme_11 .......

I live in Athol, Ma. IMO I would buy a queen this time of year

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 07:38:41 am »
I have been keeping bees in Athol MA. for 50+ years

This is advise from someone 40 mi north of you. You may find someone closer I hope so.

http://hampden-county-beekeepers.org/

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 04:10:46 pm by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2009, 09:40:45 am »

I believe you need Local advise !
It is  really impossible I believe, for any one 500, or 1000 + miles away to give particular instructions on how to manage your bees.
What is your elevation, tempreature zone, what dates do your local seasons begin & end ?
These are a few of the things I think are needed before anyone should sprout off with " advice "

Take any and all advice on on the inter-net forums with a grain or two of salt, their is very good info. given and lots of bad.

Good Luck

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2009, 10:38:19 am »
So let's make our knowledge level clear when commenting on things we have no personal experience with.

Thanks for saying this! I was starting to annoy myself with how often I started a response with something along the lines of, "I have very little experience, I'm a totally new beek, etc."  :-P
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline contactme_11

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 10:39:28 am »
Thanks Robo, my feelings exactly. I really didn't mean to blast this guy, I just needed advise from someone (possibly Northeast) who could really help. Not generic info I could find in a book.
OK everyone take a deep breathe now.

Yes it is important for people to give advice.  But it is also dangerous for someone with little experience to give wrong advice.  There are many new beekeepers on here,  and it is important for them to participate so it isn't the same people having to answer the same questions over and over.   But if you have no personal experience with the methods you suggest,  it is also key that you add a disclaimer to warn the requester.  Something like,  "I've never done it this way, but here is why I think it would work"  or "I'm a new beekeeper, but from what I have learned I think...."

Just giving broad motherhood statements, that are flat out wrong, with no justification is not being helpful.   It is easy to make such statements when your bees are not at risk. But if you got burned by someones wrong advice, you would not be very happy. 

Offline contactme_11

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2009, 10:41:49 am »
Sorry Joelel. Didn't mean to take out my frustrations on you.

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2009, 01:07:31 pm »
Sorry Joelel. Didn't mean to take out my frustrations on you.

No problem ,apology accepted.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2009, 02:48:06 pm »
 X:X X:X X:X X:X

Offline Buz Green

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2009, 04:30:17 pm »
Hey, that's cool. And they didn't have to have a beer with the President. I love Beeks.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said I meant but what you heard is not what I said.

www.greenbeecompany.com

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2009, 04:35:13 pm »
Group Huuuuggggg :-* :-D

But you can't have my Bud Light ;)!!!

It's great to see things settle in a nice way ---- really.
John 3:16