Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: queen due to mate with bad weather??  (Read 1196 times)

Offline bberry

• House Bee
  • Playing with wool is good for your soul
queen due to mate with bad weather??
« on: March 19, 2008, 09:09:47 pm »
I split my first hive just over two weeks ago-did an even split and to be honest it was a last min. decision during an inspection. My one hive was busting the seems on it's 2 deeps since we are in full swing spring here and since i lost my second hive  the other month i chose to split. Both boxes had plenty of eggs,larva, honey and capped brood and i located the queen in the one box so i just removed the upper deep and placed it right next to the bottom where my old hive had been. All went well and they evened themselves over a few days with little to no drift back. I added a med. super to each and let them bee :-P Anyway, i inspected them yesterday and the queenless hive has just hatched a new queen(i spotted her skinny self jammin' all over). I would guess that she hatched within the last two days if the math adds up. My prob. is that we are expecting some bad weather in the next few days-when so they do their first flights after hatch? There seems to be conflicting info about timeframes among the literature and online. What is everyones general experience with this?

Offline peggjam

• New Bee
Re: queen due to mate with bad weather??
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 10:20:13 pm »
Virgin queens generally hang around in the hive for upto a week before they make mating flights.  During this time they take brief flights to orinante to the hive and strenghten wing muscles.  The mating window is about three weeks from hatch.  So as long as you get some mating weather in the nex three weeks, you should be ok. :)