Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hi, I am a "Newbee" from Switzerland!  (Read 3661 times)

Offline shuesler

• New Bee
Hi, I am a "Newbee" from Switzerland!
« on: July 27, 2011, 07:57:51 pm »
Hello everyone,
I have been keeping bees in Switzerland since last spring 2010.  I started out with a colony that I borrowed from the bee course that I am taking (it is a two year course).  I gave it back after the first year because I had caught two swarms: One that flew right into my carport and the other one that settled down on a very low branch of my neighbors apple tree!!! What a lucky duck!!!!

I now have 5 colonies and have just finished a Queen rearing course and have raised 7 Queens so far. Two of the Queens were raised during the course from larvae and the other 5 were raised in mating nucs from supersedure cells that I cut out of one of my hives. 

There is a lot of beekeeping terminology that I only know in German (That is the language that my beekeeping courses are in) so it takes me a while to figure out the equivalent in English....even though I am a born and raised, 100% Kentuckian.  So, I hope that I don't sound too silly if someone asks me a question and I don't know exactly what to call the procedures or equipment that I use.  I am just now reading and learning about all of this in English....and we do have many different procedures and ways over here.

I became interested in beekeeping a few years when I took my children to a friend's farm to see his pigs and cows and learn about how he raised them.  As a nice little extra, he showed us his bee house with his hives (most Swiss have cute little bee houses and they don't use the magazines that are so popular....I will try to post a picture sometime).  Soon after I was able to watch a beekeeper catch a swarm and then I was hooked.  It took me quite a few years to finally sign up for a course and get started but here I am, enjoying all my lovely bees. 

During my course it was suggested that we hook up with an experienced bee keeper for at least our first year so that we could look over their shoulder and help out and we could reinforce what we learned in the class by practicing with our "Bee God Father/ Bee God Mother.  We were also encouraged to join our local bee keeping association.  I did both of these and boy, what a great Bee God Father I got.  I learned soooo much working with him.  I don't think that I could have learned so much in 10 years as I learned with him that first year....and he had only been keeping bees for 6 years.   So, to any of you "seasoned" bee keepers out there wanting to encourage new bee keepers...consider taking one under your wing for a year or two.  You will be passing on your many years of experience and wisdom and you will be helping to keep bee keeping alive. 

Ganz liebe GrĂ¼ss
Susie
Beekeeping since 2010, Chickens since 2005, Homeschooling since 2002, Guinea Pigs since 1996, Living in Swizterland since 1995,  Mother of 5 since 1990, Married since 1989

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Hi, I am a "Newbee" from Switzerland!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 08:13:19 pm »
welcome.  it's great to have people from other places to share their ideas and ways.  don't worry about terms and stuff.  sometimes we have a hard time communicating in the same country  :-D  we won't mind trying to figure out your terms.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 09:24:28 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Judy in in

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 10:51:44 pm »
Wow! Are you ever coming back to the US?

I would love to see pictures of the bee houses there.

Velkommen! (about all I remember from hs german)

Offline shuesler

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 07:51:47 pm »
@Michael Bush: Thanks for the links....very helpful. 

@Judy:  I have been here for 16 years and unless my husband decides to change jobs....we will be here at least until he retires in 12 years.  Not sure what will happen after that....only the Lord knows.  I will try to post some pics at a later date....but don't hold your breath....I might forget. :-) 
Beekeeping since 2010, Chickens since 2005, Homeschooling since 2002, Guinea Pigs since 1996, Living in Swizterland since 1995,  Mother of 5 since 1990, Married since 1989

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 11:55:03 pm »
Welcome to the site!

Offline Judy in in

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 11:56:24 pm »
....I might forget

We might be SISTERS! LOLOL!

Offline shuesler

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 07:49:35 pm »
@ Judy in in

If you google "bienenhaus" (beehouse)you can see some pics of what is typical for Switzerland.  Most Swiss beekeepers (Imkers) keep their beehives INSIDE a bee house.  Their hives have a door on the back of the hive that opens up.   

The other thing that you might find interesting is googling "bienen wagen" (bee wagon).  This is a typical movable bee house for traveling beekeepers in Switzerland...although we don't move our bees around much anymore because of the threat of spreading diseases. The man that I "practiced" with my first year of beekeeping has his 14 colonies in a bee wagon.  It is pretty cool.   

You could also google "schweizer bienenkasten" (Swiss Bee Hive) and then you can see some of these unusual bee hives that the German speaking Swiss folks use.  The French speaking Swiss use a different hive.   

Hope you have fun looking at what is used in Switzerland. :-D

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 08:13:46 pm »
Welcome to the forum.   :cheer:  -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline Bee Brothers Apiary

• New Bee
    • EveryThing Honey Bee, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 11:05:13 pm »
 :cheer:  :piano:  :rainbowflower:

Offline SerenaSYH

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 01:09:00 am »
awww that is so cute and artsy,  :rainbowflower: :flyingpig: :rainbowflower: and very imaginative! I'd be racing to buy such fancy beehouses! oooo-ooo, I wonder if anyone here will decide to try to build one...

practicing with our "Bee God Father/ Bee God Mother.  We were also encouraged to join our local bee keeping association.

hehe, ummm, in the US just 2 weeks ago we had a series special of the Godfather I, II, and III. I can imagine that coupled with our Italians... bwaha, sorry folks, I make such baaaaad jokes  :fishhit:

Anyway, great having you here Susie! I am looking forward to hearing all about your Swiss bees!

Offline GeorgeAdams

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 04:21:07 pm »
I like to hear about people from different countries.  I am a new beekeeper living in Nicaragua so I believe I need to read a lot more on the subject than other people (no English speaking bee clubs).  Have fun with your bees and on this forum
GeorgeAdams