Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I need a new supplier  (Read 4885 times)

Offline RangerBrad

• House Bee
I need a new supplier
« on: May 29, 2011, 10:47:57 am »
I recieved a package of bees from Hardemans yesterday and they were all dead as hammers with the exception of about 20-30 workers. When I called I was told since I was in zone 5 they would not replace them. That I was simply out my $120. The bees that I got from them before seem to always be in a constant state of supercedure and in any case need a new supplier. Of course I am looking mainly for good or lets say great queens. The ones from hardemans never did lay good patterns or alot of eggs and were allways swarming and as a new beek never really new what a strong queen could do till I seen others hives and wild hives. Could yal recommend a supplier that consistantly provides strong queens or packages? Thank's, Brad
If the only dog you can here in the hunt is yours, your probaly missing the best part of the chase.

Offline RangerBrad

• House Bee
Re: I need a new supplier
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 11:13:37 am »
Also, have any of you dealt with honeybee genetics in California? Thank's, Brad
If the only dog you can here in the hunt is yours, your probaly missing the best part of the chase.

Offline ccar2000

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 01:13:11 pm »
I have had great experience with Tabers/Honeybee Genetics.
It is what it is

Offline forrestcav

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 02:40:09 pm »
i'm sure about genetics, but Walter Kelly's seems like it might be a good option for you. Unless you can find a breeder in your state and purchase from them.
Just a beek trying to get ready for winter.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 03:34:39 pm »
So they told you there were no guarantees AFTER they arrived dead?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline jaseemtp

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 05:01:49 pm »
Im with JP on this one.  That really stinks and very poor business sense.  I have had good luck with the bees I recieved out of TN, just google wolf creek bees, but they sell small cells bees.  Other than that the rest of my hives are from swarms or cut outs.  Ohh you may want to check out Russell Apairies, I am not sure if he still has nucs, but it is worth a shot.  I am going to get queens from him in the next moth or so. Good luck
"It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!" Zapata

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 06:35:20 pm »
The postal service seems to be living up to the regulations for shipping live bees and chickens. 
I've heard of cases where the postal employees, afraid of getting stung, placed the packaged bees in plastic bags during shipment.  And other reports of baby chick crates showing evidence of being drop kicked.

That aside, there seems to be a every increasing problem with queen and package suppliers delivering quality goods.  Beekeepers, hobbiest, sideliner, and commercial alike, need to let the producers know they won't take it any more.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 08:04:50 pm »
Pm me for info on my available bees.
Bailey.

I'll treat you alot better than that.
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline joebrown

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 11:00:27 pm »
I would file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau! I had never done this until I met my wife. She does this when she is treated poorly like in your case! It works wonders! Businesses do not like it when the BBB contacts them and generally try to fix the problem! Just my 2 cents!!

Offline RangerBrad

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 12:20:11 am »
Ya, I was really torqued. I called and they told me they had a bad shipment and had several calls the day before with the same complaint and that because I was in zone 5 they could not insure them so they could not replace them so, I said are you telling me I'm just out $120 and their exact words were yes sir. I told them that I had dealt with them in the past and worst yet had told my friends about them and that this would be the last time I had any dealings with them. They said, OK and that was it.
 To my way of thinking that is the worst service you can give. They made a full profit off of the bees as did the post office. the only one to lose out is the customer and he looses completely. Hardemans could take the loss out in taxs or they maybe insured for loss's but the customer has no recourse to his loss. I'm sure alot of their bussines is word of mouth and suppling places like Walter Kelly. You would think with service like this they wouldn't be in bussiness long. Fourtunatly I cut a wild hive out of a tree several days ago and they are doing well and another beek is offering to let me have a swarm from one of his hives as he has all the hives he can handle. So this year may turn out all right but feel I need to replace the queen in the hive I got from hardemans 2 years ago because as I said they keep superceding.Thank's, Brad

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 08:06:09 am »

because I was in zone 5 they could not insure them so they could not replace them

Since you say you have ordered from them before;

You must have known you were in zone 5, and uninsurable, did you take a gamble ?

Some places will not ship to a zone 5 or above.

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2011, 09:02:03 am »
I know nothing about shipping Bee's
But if there was USPS insurance on the package, would
it not cover dead bees? Can you insure a live bee package
through the post office ??

Tommyt
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline RangerBrad

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2011, 11:48:20 am »
The packages I got before were fine so there was no need to question zone or gaurantee or anything. I had no idea what zone I was in or that they could not insure them. One of those deals where you don't know you have a problem until you have a problem. Also if I'm reading this right to know my zone I have to know the zone of the originating point as the recieving point zone changes in response to point of origin. Brad
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 11:59:26 am by RangerBrad »

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2011, 10:25:27 pm »
HARDEMANS.......  :lau:

I called at 8:20 on December 1,...the first day they took orders. Yes, I realize they have longstanding orders and priority folks. But when I got through the first 20 minutes after they started taking orders and I was offered about any date I wanted, I scheduled for April 9th. And the order was filled May 27th. The guy who picked up the bees had struck up a conversation with one of the workers, and he indicated they were just about wrapping up the final orders for the year. So it makes me wonder how one can order the first day when they start taking orders, and yet my order was filled on one of the last days they filled orders.

I can deal with delays. But something is just lacking there nowadays. Just another company that seemed to change when the kids start running things. Too bad John is getting old. I never had problems when he was running the show.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2011, 11:45:27 pm »
Ya, I was really torqued. I called and they told me they had a bad shipment and had several calls the day before with the same complaint and that because I was in zone 5 they could not insure them so they could not replace them so, I said are you telling me I'm just out $120 and their exact words were yes sir. I told them that I had dealt with them in the past and worst yet had told my friends about them and that this would be the last time I had any dealings with them. They said, OK and that was it.
 To my way of thinking that is the worst service you can give. They made a full profit off of the bees as did the post office. the only one to lose out is the customer and he looses completely. Hardemans could take the loss out in taxs or they maybe insured for loss's but the customer has no recourse to his loss. I'm sure alot of their bussines is word of mouth and suppling places like Walter Kelly. You would think with service like this they wouldn't be in bussiness long. Fourtunatly I cut a wild hive out of a tree several days ago and they are doing well and another beek is offering to let me have a swarm from one of his hives as he has all the hives he can handle. So this year may turn out all right but feel I need to replace the queen in the hive I got from hardemans 2 years ago because as I said they keep superceding.Thank's, Brad

Iyou payed by credit card. call the card company and have the charge reversed due to bad product and no costomer sevice. that is part of the insurance that comes with your credit cards. I have done this with a company that sent me a damagedproduct and refused to to replace the bad item. they replaced it very quickly then

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2011, 08:26:49 pm »
Stick with local bees if possible.   Find bees in your state so you do not have to have them shipped.   The heat during shipping is what kills the bees.  Find bees in Arkansas you can pick up.

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2011, 08:57:19 am »
Not to add insult to injury, but my Hardeman bees (queens only, no packages) arrived on time. I know it doesnt give any of you your money back or your packages, but I didnt have any problems with them. Sorry man.

Offline cowboygourmet

• New Bee
    • Autrey's Friendship Farms
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2011, 09:53:46 am »
Sorry about your loss and that is exactly why I try to buy nucs from local bee keepers.  :-\
Jest Remember to Keep your hands on the plow and your eyes on the Lord

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2011, 10:34:28 am »
>So this year may turn out all right but feel I need to replace the queen in the hive I got from hardemans 2 years ago because as I said they keep superceding.Thank's, Brad

I'm confused :?  Is it the original queen or a superceded queen? Just asking. Supercedure now days is very common with producer queens. Not a good thing but happens often.
John 3:16

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2011, 12:20:12 pm »
Sorry about your loss and that is exactly why I try to buy nucs from local bee keepers.  :-\

If I buy packages I will use a local supplier who will go south to pick them up just my $0.02

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline WalshMC

• Brood
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2011, 02:31:38 pm »
So, I am new to beekeeping, got started a little late and feel your frustration!  I dealt with Busy Bees Apiaries and after having placed the order in March for delivery mid-April, taking 3 vacation days in order to definitely be at the country house for the shipment, we find out that there was a shortage and they never shipped.  And still haven't.  Despite multiple calls and promises that they were going to ship out "this week" (we stopped taking vacation, however).  The tone of the announcements were "yes, we know you were supposed to get bees but our supplier is having trouble, don't call us, we'll call you . . . and remember we're a family-owned business so don't expect customer service."  We finally cancelled the order. People like Hardemans and Busy Bees and all these folks who are out there peddling bees online need to realize they've got a business to run and people who are really

B Weaver got some extra nucs this spring from friends in Fla., were local to us (in TX) and far more professional.  We're hoping (fingers crossed!) to get them later this week/early next.

Offline Francus

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2011, 03:19:47 pm »
I fear I may be in the same boat. I, too, am new to beekeeping. I ordered some carnies from a supplier in Tennessee, a mere 4 hour drive from my house. I decided to have them delivered rather than take a day off work with no pay.

The bees are now 3 weeks overdue and their website says it will be 2 to 3 more weeks and I am getting impatient. I am afraid even if I get my bees they won't have time to draw comb and store up honey for the winter, especially as I am going foundationless.

I haven't cancelled the order yet, but I'm getting antsy. I have been looking a the local bee club and someone sells mutts. I am considering getting some and ordering a queen from somewhere. Or not.

Again, due to the lateness of it all I may not have time to get bees and get going.
"...but Sweetie, it's basically just an Ant Farm for adults...."

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2011, 04:10:00 pm »
I fear I may be in the same boat. I, too, am new to beekeeping. I ordered some carnies from a supplier in Tennessee,

Who sells Carnies in Tn?

Offline Francus

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2011, 04:15:58 pm »
Long Creek Apiaries. They sell Russians as well. And queens. When I've talked to the guy on the phone he seems nice. But I don't have any bees yet. I'd rather have the bees right now than all the nice.

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2011, 04:17:43 pm »
Long Creek Apiaries. They sell Russians as well. And queens. When I've talked to the guy on the phone he seems nice. But I don't have any bees yet. I'd rather have the bees right now than all the nice.

Do a search on here for Long Creek Apiaries and Ill send you a PM.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2011, 08:26:45 pm »
I recommend getting a full hive of mutts locally. It will have a much better chance of surviving the winter and the mutts around here seem to take fewer and less treatments that the breeder's royalty. If you can't find them locally, I'm only 75 miles from you and there's hives for sell here. You can drive up, pick them up at dark, and not miss work. PM me if you are interested.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2011, 08:27:52 pm »
I recommend getting a full hive of mutts locally. It will have a much better chance of surviving the winter and the mutts around here seem to take fewer and less treatments that the breeder's royalty. If you can't find them locally, I'm only 75 miles from you and there's hives for sell here. You can drive up, pick them up at dark, and not miss work. PM me if you are interested.

And no shipping required.

Offline cowboygourmet

• New Bee
    • Autrey's Friendship Farms
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2011, 09:35:53 am »
Who sells Carnies in Arkansas or Texas? Also is there anyone that sells nucs etc with Russian Queens?
Jest Remember to Keep your hands on the plow and your eyes on the Lord

Offline Francus

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2011, 06:30:46 pm »
Thanks a bunch for all the help last night idee. The mutts are installed and doing fine!

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2011, 06:56:04 pm »
Good news. Keep us up to date.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline caticind

• House Bee
  • Nothing sweeter...
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2011, 11:50:22 am »
So, I am new to beekeeping, got started a little late and feel your frustration!  I dealt with Busy Bees Apiaries and after having placed the order in March for delivery mid-April, taking 3 vacation days in order to definitely be at the country house for the shipment, we find out that there was a shortage and they never shipped.  And still haven't.  Despite multiple calls and promises that they were going to ship out "this week" (we stopped taking vacation, however).  The tone of the announcements were "yes, we know you were supposed to get bees but our supplier is having trouble, don't call us, we'll call you . . . and remember we're a family-owned business so don't expect customer service."  We finally cancelled the order.

Wait, why are you buying from Busy Bee if you're not local to them?  I live 30 minutes from them, and they're an excellent business, but extra heavy emphasis on the LOCAL.  The customer service is superb, provided you walk in, but if they're talking to you they sometimes let the phone ring.

Their whole deal is that if you live nearby, you can get Brushy Mountain equipment at catalog price and reasonably decent Georgia packages without paying any shipping, just the gas you spend to come pick up your order.  They drive to Georgia to pick up their packages, absorb any packages lost in shipping, then fill orders quite literally off the back of the truck.  They call you on the day the bees come in, no worrying about delivery date.  Their customers get to examine the packages and queens on receipt and are NEVER stuck with the OPs dilemma of getting bees that died en route.  If you ordered a package from them to be shipped through the mail, that's kind of missing the point.  

You'd be better off finding a supplier close to you, though it sounds like you've reached that conclusion already.  I've heard good things about B Weaver.
The bees would be no help; they would tumble over each other like golden babies and thrum wordlessly on the subjects of queens and sex and pollen-gluey feet. -Palimpsest

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2011, 12:41:19 pm »
Busy bee in Chapel hill, NC is not connected to Busy Bee in Douglasville, Ga.

Please specify which one you are talking about. You could damage a good company's image by not doing so. Maybe that's why Beemaster frowns on naming names on the forum.

*Shel Silverstein*