Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Where would you like to be stung?  (Read 6819 times)

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: Where would you like to be stung?
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2010, 12:06:07 am »
Still can't talk about it much slacker :shock:

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2010, 12:24:10 am »

I was working and got stung by a wasp on the hand.  yeah, the first day is annoying and all, but I had relief from arthritis. Is bee venom the same as Wasp venom?
I just know that the venoms are not identical because treating with one does not provide tolerance to the other.  If you are allergic to wasp and bee venom, you have to take shots for both.  But there could be some components in common, perhaps the one that relieves your arthritis.
Here is a study on the subject:  http://arthritis.about.com/b/2004/11/08/bee-venom-may-soothe-rheumatoid-arthritis.htm
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline beee farmer

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2010, 12:38:35 am »
I sting my elbow now and then when the tennis "work" elbow gets bad.. but unless you got aproblem there I dont recomend it.... littel meat and lotsa nerves.. hurts like the dickens there.
"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do"  Benjamin Franklin

Offline sarafina

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2010, 11:41:44 am »
I am curious - how do you get a bees to sting you in a certain place (those who are doing it for arthritis relief)?  Do you capture a bee in a jar and then take her out and place here where you want and she automatically stings you because she is so annoyed?  Or do you force her stinger into your skin while holding her?

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2010, 03:34:10 pm »
Sara, tweezers work great for this. Some use a tube that has a plunger in it with mesh on the bottom thus forcing the bee downward to sting through to whatever jerk is aggravating them.  ;)

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2010, 03:48:26 pm »

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2010, 12:07:01 pm »
My left shoulder blade always feels better for some time after a sting... unfortunately the bees don't seem to be helpful in that matter... they've only stung there once on their own.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2010, 01:51:23 pm »
Chop Sticks Daniel-son  :-D
then you must walk on the Rice Paper :ninja:

I am curious - how do you get a bees to sting you in a certain place (those who are doing it for arthritis relief)?  Do you capture a bee in a jar and then take her out and place here where you want and she automatically stings you because she is so annoyed?  Or do you force her stinger into your skin while holding her?

Tommyt
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline backyard warrior

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2010, 06:33:43 pm »
The best place to get stung is in the finger nail bed underneath your finger nail  :)

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2010, 09:51:03 pm »
I had a very serious reaction to a bee sting on my hand a few weeks back.  Got an epi pen as a result.  Saturday I got stung on the forearm by a wasp while mowing the lawn.  Hurt like hell, more so than the bee sting, but I had no other reaction at all.  I was expecting the worst, came in and drunk 1/4 a bottle of liquid benedryl, put ice on the sting and waited for hives/swelling to start, but nothing.  The bee sting broke me out in hives from head to toe and my hand was swollen for a couple of days.  Weird.  I know you don't always get the same amount of venom with each sting but I thought the wasp actually got a better shot at me than the bee. (And yes, I am sure it was a wasp.  I saw it. It was a big one.)
linda d

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2010, 10:21:50 pm »
wow after that much benedryl, you must have slept a very long time.

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2010, 10:23:40 pm »
Idaxon, as I mentioned, I am allergic at the systemic level to bee venom... and from your description of symptoms you are also.  What I have learned from my allergist is that there are distinct types of reactions to bee stings.  I have very mild local reaction but a systemic reaction involving my throat.  Your full body hives are a very serious symptom and you may want to see an allergist about it.    You can have a serious systemic reaction but not much local reaction.... because there is more than one mechanism going on.

From what I know, the main allergic component of bee venom is not the same as wasp venom.  The shots the allergist gives for the two insect reactions are not identical.

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2010, 12:46:52 pm »
Any problem bone joint sounds like a good place.  having been 'lit on fire' once or twice by more bees than i can count i recommend the top of the shoulder where the skin is thinnest. 

1) - it's a joint
2) - doesn't seem to swell as much
3) - Seems to be a less sensitive area pain-wise
4) - it make getting shoulder rubs, from those who are sympathetic, a lot easier
Make Mead!

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2010, 08:58:34 pm »
FRAMEshift:  Well wouldn't you know, yesterday I was walking by the hive barefoot and got stung on the ball of my foot. (I know; stupid thing to do).   I immediately hit the sting area with some  bee sting ointment, applied an ice pack and drank 1/2 a bottle of benedryl.  And to my suprise, I had absolutely no reaction.  Haven't even had an itch today.  I don't know why I would have reacted so strongly to the sting on my hand, to the point of needing=steroids, and then have no reaction to the wasp sting or the bee sting yesterday.  Years ago when I kept bees and would get stung (usually only once or twice a year) I would get localized redness and swelling (maybe in a circle about 4-6 inches in diameter) but I never broke out in hives head-to-toe like earlier this summer.  Fortunately stings have never affected my breathing.  But I am thinking about going to see an allergist to see if I need to be "desensitized".  I certainly don't want to give up beekeeping.  It is too much fun.  I do have an eip-pen now if I ever thought I needed to use it, and I live barely a mile from a fire station where I could certainly get some quick emergency medical help if I needed it.
linda d

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2010, 10:39:05 pm »
Idaxon, you may not have been stung by a honey bee on the foot.  Maybe it was something else... so you would not necessarily expect a systemic reaction.  The hives that you had are indicative of systemic hypersensitivity.  You may not have had breathing problems before, but if you are hypersensitive,  life threatening reactions could happen anytime you are stung by a honey bee.  I'm glad you have an epipen, but you might not have time to use it or to get to even a nearby fire station.  I hope you will get tested by an allergist to see if you are hypersensitive.  The shots to desensitize yourself are not that bad, although they are time consuming.  Also consider better protection including a bee jacket, tight fitting veil, and gloves.  Good luck to both of us.  :-D

Offline saritacoleman

• House Bee
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2010, 01:45:14 am »
It's coming back to me why I've been offline for so long.
Ya'll scare the bajeebers out of me. :shock:

That video...while impressive..in practice in my home..
I see my family running for the hills.

All in good health I guess.

And I hope everyone is well.

Warm regards,

Sarita