Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive inspection today, looking good!!  (Read 3606 times)

Offline LoriMNnice

• House Bee
Hive inspection today, looking good!!
« on: June 15, 2012, 07:33:09 pm »
Fired up the smoker, put on the veil and slapped on my pink gardening gloves and checked the hives, both looking good foundationless comb looked nice and pretty  :) I added a med. to both hives and that was it. I also took the feed jars away. The End
Lori

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: Hive inspection today, looking good!!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 09:12:01 pm »

Lori, just wait till later and you get to eat some of your honey and comb.  My hives are mostly foundationless also and back a month or so ago did up my first hone and some with cone.  Good luck with yours.

Joe

Offline stella

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 01:15:35 am »
Hows the brood Lori? Are they making a nice pattern with honey in the top and pollen below that and brood below? Filling the frames?
Have they taken a liking to those pink gloves?

“The hum of bees is the voice of the garden.” — Elizabeth Lawrence

Offline LoriMNnice

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 09:15:59 pm »
Hows the brood Lori? Are they making a nice pattern with honey in the top and pollen below that and brood below? Filling the frames?
Have they taken a liking to those pink gloves?

Brood looks good it is an oval pattern on most frames and honey is mostly in the corners, pollen is kind of on the sides in the yellow hive. In the pink hive brood isn't as compact a little spacey but lots of it and honey mostly on top pollen evertwhere, So I think thats ok and I didn't look at every frame I pulled up a couple and then peeked at the rest. And they LOVE my pink gardening gloves  :-D
Lori

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 11:19:30 am »
What flowers you have in bloom  now in Minnesota.
Our raspberries started and black berries. Black berries are only in some gardens.

White clover started.

Apples stopped blooming a weeks ago.
Autumn canola stopped blooming. One field bloomed 35 days.

Language barrier NOT included

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 11:37:45 am »
Our raspberries started and black berries. Black berries are only in some gardens.

White clover started.

Hey Finski, our blackberries are getting ripe already. I picked a hand full saturday. Our white clover is slowing down also. It's been real hot and dry.

Offline LoriMNnice

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 01:10:24 pm »

White clover started.

Lots of different clovers, and other flowers and trees that I don't know what they are, I have to learn what we have now. I am just seeing what there is when I drive down our road. I am pretty rural so nothing gets cut down or mowed. And I do know that gardens around here get planted around June 1st and really start growing and blooming around the end of July

I also have the bees by lots of alfalfa clover
Lori

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 04:29:49 pm »
Minnesota blueberries do not bloom yet but today I ate the first blueberry in greenhouse and European wild strawberry fragaria vesca. A tamed strawberry too...

By the way. Garden strawberry history is interesting. It is crossing with South American and North American strawberries.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 06:37:43 pm »
We have been eating blueberries and blackberries since the beginning of June.   And back to inspections, I was pulling honey supers today and decided to check on some swarms that I had hived in the spring.   I found one double deep that I for some reason did not place 3 frames in the top box.   I got to cut out 2 very nice combs hanging off the inner cover.   A messy ouch. 

Offline LoriMNnice

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 07:54:53 pm »
Minnesota blueberries do not bloom yet but today I ate the first blueberry in greenhouse and European wild strawberry fragaria vesca. A tamed strawberry too...

By the way. Garden strawberry history is interesting. It is crossing with South American and North American strawberries.
I have tried 2 years in a row to plant strawberries and have failed miserably, they die. Unless I can get free plants I am not going to try again. I wasted a lot of money on plants. I wanted them so badly too because thats the only berries I like :(
Lori

Offline LoriMNnice

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 07:57:05 pm »
We have been eating blueberries and blackberries since the beginning of June.   And back to inspections, I was pulling honey supers today and decided to check on some swarms that I had hived in the spring.   I found one double deep that I for some reason did not place 3 frames in the top box.   I got to cut out 2 very nice combs hanging off the inner cover.   A messy ouch. 
At least they were hanging nice and you didn't have crazy comb everywhere I have seen pictures of crazy comb and that looks like a mess :)
Lori

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 08:43:28 pm »
[ I have tried 2 years in a row to plant strawberries and have failed miserably,

Strawberries are easy to grow. Have you planted them near some big tree? Or what is the soil in your place?

I have ever bearing varietes about 10 different. They are in pots, 15 litres or 5 litres. Some are in 90 litre pots.

Offline LoriMNnice

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 08:53:20 pm »
[ I have tried 2 years in a row to plant strawberries and have failed miserably,

Strawberries are easy to grow. Have you planted them near some big tree? Or what is the soil in your place?

I have ever bearing varietes about 10 different. They are in pots, 15 litres or 5 litres. Some are in 90 litre pots.
Thats what everyone has told me I tried in pots and grow bags, first batch i tried were roots and grew really nice got flowers then died and they smelled musty. This year I bought plants they turned brown and died. Do you think it was not enough water or too much water?
Lori

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 09:17:33 pm »
If the pot compost gets too much water, soil generates poisons which kill the plat in few hours. I have succeeded to kill many tomato plants this way.

Sometimes the pot soil is too fine, dust like, and it has no oxygen in the centre.

In pots soil must be coarse that it has 2-5 mm air holes in whole root area.

Pots should be big that they do not need water every day.